The Grundys' finances

There’s a huge incentive to keep your septic tank working effectively, even the Grundys would have risen to it. They are very simple to manage - a set of drain rods, emptying when necessary and that’s it.

3 Likes

Like they kept their fences mended and looked after the health of their animals, without which the farm would go under and they’d be evicted? They had a pretty good incentive there which they didn’t attend to, and that is why I see no real reason to think they would be competent to deal with a septic tank without forgetting it, assuming that someone else was doing it, not having the money to pay for someone to empty it, or finding it too much labour when they were busy with some scam or other. Or were you thinking that it would be one more task for Clarrie?

3 Likes

But Clarrie has form for not being reliable at keeping her hands clean.

God help the midlands if she’s ever let loose cleaning a septic tank.

1 Like

They’d never pay for it to be emptied, they’d do it themselves. As for incentive, nothing quite like toilets backing up and inspection covers being forced off to motivate. I can’t say I thought of Clarrie rodding the drains, but I don’t mind doing it so why should she? One of life’s more satisfying tasks.

2 Likes

Using the drain rods is generally a most cathartic experience.

3 Likes

That glorious"gloop" when the blockage is cleared. Nothing quite like it!

2 Likes

Mains or tank is a patchwork vound here. Anyone close to a stream running out to sea (2 miles away) has mains drainage, even if it’s an isolated house. There are little sewage works on all the streams. And the half dozen houses at the nearest cove have it pumped upstream to their treatment works. Away from water courses, and a couple of miles further inland, it’s mainly tanks except for larger places. Water Quality Directives.

3 Likes

Around here the villages with a main road running through, have mains. Those (usually smaller) on B roads, have tanks. It also depends on the age of the houses and probably on the planners playing Stone-Paper-Scissors, when recent houses were being planned.

3 Likes