Achieved so far today

We included JL in a search for a new oven. The staff are unfailingly charming and seek to help.

The particular infant we got attached to however made a schoolboy error … which, fair play, Ithink he was.

Mrs. Shanks, is a woman not to be triffled with even if you use the very best custard and have excellent 100’s and 1,000’s. She wanted a double oven. With the smaller oven, doubling as a grill, to be gas based. This was the same as the recently defunct one. We were singularly failing in the quest at a wide range of oven shops.

Mrs. S wanted this combination very badly. If, for some reason, it wasn’t available she at least wanted a sympathetic ear. The seller needed to understand why their lack of supply of same was a calumny and to allow themselves to be told this at considerable length.

What she did not want was an embryo talking down to her.

‘James’ was not getting the signs. I stood slightly behind her, facing him, gurning “no, don’t say that” faces. Shaking my head. Widening my eyes.

James, however, was on a roll. I decided to step back and give him room. It was then that he said it … I genuinely forgot to breath for some time. My hands and arms involuntarily twitched.

From his scarce bearded face came the tilt of a head, a sympathetic smile and then … the words … “I’m afraid, madam, there is no demand for that !”

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

She explained to his dismembered body parts that there most certainly WAS a demand … and SHE was it. She would not be spoken to like this by a 5 year old and demanded to see someone who had existed in the C20th.

I’m uncertain when the Court Order is removed but she’s been allowed to be within 6 miles of James for quite a while now.

I quite liked John Lewis.

5 Likes

Well if you will borrow stuff from Helen…

3 Likes

Ty Armitáge update :-

The drive is done & completed. The mark of approval comes with the number if passing strollers stopping and staring.

I’ve, so far, resisted screaming “Oi. You … get orf of my laaaaand”. Not least because they’re on the public footpath, but also coz I’m enjoying them approving. 2 new gateposts will be buikt in a few weeks.

The door, completed, except they initally brought the wrong window glass. Now fitted with the correct glass and Mdm. Shanks is delighted.

New boiler and rads fitted. 2 immediately isolated and removed so the plasterer can do his thing. New thermostat (we’ve never, actually, had one before !!), old controller as we wrestle with getting “a Hive”, or “a Nest” (any advice welcome … SooBee will doubtless prefer a Hive and the Sparrer a Nest).

Electrician and plasterer both on holiday for 2 weeks and so pushes work back, but is now arranged. Decorator will follow them, probably 4 weeks.

The external renderring man is proving to be a bit slippy, but I’ll get him here. Then they get painted.

3pc suite, circa 1982, removed for refurbishing at a cost of more than a new one in truth but it’s the style … & we’ve not found better. That returns in c. 2 more weeks. Currently using 2 swivel chairs; one old, one new.

Bought a new TV table. How something to put your telly on can excite me so much I’m quite unsure.

Bought a new washer and iron 2 weeks ago as both items broke. We saw washers ranging from £200 to £1,450. The latter is a complicated thing with steam cleaning and 100’s of features but … £1,450 … really ?? Esp. when, in truth you use maybe 3 or 4 of the available options.

Carpets … final selection still being evaded. I DO now know I can’t have full wool as even going into the shops starts me wheezing and the itchy eyes begin.

Kitchen, now whittled down the options. Soon we will have the person/people with the software around to confuse us. We know of preferred style and the oven (s) & hob. The rest is up for grabs.

I need a lie down.

4 Likes

All right, you wanted advice.

I am a big fan of techno gadgety things. But I absolutely avoid IoT devices, for several reasons:

• you’re relying on the company to keep running the servers, and indeed to keep supporting your gadget. If they turn the thing off - and it’s not generating any noticeable revenue for them - you have an expensive lump of plastic. Or whenever your internet connection goes down, ditto.
  • security - the things aren’t written by people who are security experts (that would be expensive), and when bugs are inevitably found they won’t get patched the way you can with a proper computer.
  • privacy - the only ongoing revenue stream the company has is to sell the data it gathers from you. Think your thermostat settings aren’t important enough to care about? They’ll tell people when the house is empty.

I would get a Honeywell digital programmable thermostat instead.

5 Likes

Wise words Hedgers and not a million miles from Mrs. A’s view.

I’m under pressure ti be hip, from #2 son. #1 son wouldn’t know what a cintroller was let alone get all high-fluting with it.

5 Likes

I don’t have a Smart meter. Nor will I be having one… Just sayin’

4 Likes

I would never have remotely controlled devices; the more entry points there are the more likely you are to be compromised. Hackers are very, very smart and they just do it for fun. They’d wreak havoc just because they could.

What’s the drive finish - obviously impressive if it’s stopping the traffic :grin:

5 Likes

It’s a resin coated gravel. All the prep work is done, the framing etc. then they bring a mixr, like an upright cement mixer and the selected stone is poured in with tubs of resin.

That’s loosely raked into where it’s going and then 2 guys with big wide flat plasterers trowels sweep and smooth it into place. Its quite an art to watch.

Dry in about 3 hours, beautifully flat. It’s pourous too so no puddles or loss of water table issues. Imperviius to weeds too (is the boast. We’ll see).

Not cheap, but less per sq. m than pressed concrete options, less prone to slippage or weeds than pavoirs/bricks/paving. Longer lasting than tarmac.

I’ll post some photos when on the pc.

3 Likes

Please do post some pics. I’ve been thinking about it but haven’t been able to find anyone with actual experience of it.

Meanwhile, I’ve just fed the robin - again

2 Likes

Will do, once I’ve reminded myself how to.

Live Robins. So friendly and curious. I nearly got a young one to eat off my hand last week. He really wanted to but list hus nerve. I’ll keep wirking innit.

Meanwhile our Wagtails have had a syccessful breed and yesterday we had 5 fledglings dashing across the garden at great speed and as a mob. I looked it up and tbis, it seems, is their habit.

4 Likes

Armers, that all sounds highly achieveful! Have a nice sit down and a glass of something, now. And tell 2nd son to go stick his head in a pig, for the reasons given above by Hedgers and Marjorie.

We have a resin-coated gravel drive. We also have weeds; the seeds still grow on top of it, though I don’t think they are yet coming through from below. It is a nice idea that they won’t but it simply is not true; it took two years, but they are growing now. It is however as advertised in the matter of water going through it, though in really torrential rain there is a stream of water about half-way down from the road to the front door before it manages to sink through the resin completely.

My achievement today has been going to the centre of town and not having to kill anyone.

2 Likes

[quote=“Armrest, post:227, topic:50, full:true”]
Wise words Hedgers and not a million miles from Mrs. A’s view.

I’m under pressure ti be hip, from #2 son.[/quote]
There’s always the Arduino option. I set up some Christmas lights with one last year - results were very impressive! The serious aim behind it is to control a few lights around the house when we’re away. No internet required, so no risk of hacking (just my near-atrophied programming skills!)

I should hope not, or you could find yourself embroiled in a demarcation dispute :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed - and Feral is in the process of building a Raspberry Pi-based controller for the lights in the gazebo, which will potentially involve the Internet, but with all data transmission controlled by US.

3 Likes

I am in awe of Feral Techie

Leaves Beer

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

Personally I am waiting for F’Techie to design a working doorbell. The present one doesn’t always react to being pressed, and wireless seem only to work some of the time and in one or two of the three places where it is meant to sound. This is a great nuisance.

2 Likes

Has visions of a chain of Trebuchets designed to hurl Summat Soft But Noisy at respective windows…

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

What you need is a few geese. I defy anyone to come to the door unheralded - and you get amazing eggs for a few months each year.

2 Likes

I love 'marcation disputes.

I sometimes encorage them just to see the reaction.

3 Likes

The neighbours would love that, Joe…

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

Joe, I want them to be able to deliver the freakin’ parcels, not be scared into the next county!

2 Likes