Botheration but also hurrah!

I had quite decided that the ‘shocking favour’ asked of Helen was going to be "Can you get me three litres of own-brand vodka. To make sanitizer. To keep CHRIS’S BABY safe’.

But hurrah! that Kirsty June (June? really?) has finally got hitched. She’ll be in it up to her neck when Plod comes calling. Confiscation of property, the lot.
Deep joy. Not that she has much property, but still…

5 Likes

Well, she can’t be forced to testify against him.

If she should choose to, of course…

4 Likes

I am not at all sure that still applies.

3 Likes

Spousal privilege still applies with a few exceptions, mainly relating to abuse of a spouse or of minors.
I think marital comms privilege still applies as well.

4 Likes

Tell you what I’m pretty sure doesn’t apply, though: dragging in witnesses off the street.
I believe the Registrar has to know who will act as witnesses some time in advance, and the witnesses must have ID.

4 Likes

That’s changed, then: my aunt was married with the bridegroom’s taxi-driver as a witness because the idiot bridegroom had forgotten that one would be needed, and the registrar had difficulty with three out of the four surnames (Turkish Cypriot, Polish, German) involved, and one of the forenames (unique to my mother).

4 Likes

I know: we had thought of doing it.

4 Likes

We horrified my Mama by refusing to marry in a church as I would not disrespect the people who formed the church’s beliefs by using a church for pretty photos

She thought that I would rollover and give in

Wrong

4 Likes

Did Rob and Helen not have a wedding with unknown witnesses?

4 Likes

They must have done, since it was in a place unknown to them beforehand.

3 Likes