Cryptocurrencies – a public service announcement

Welcome Vickya

I can barely manage myself so managing any more than I have in my purse is beyond me

It’s interesting to see that you have made a success of your investments - I just have not the brain for money management

2 Likes

Tsk.

3 Likes

At that point it’s merely an environmental crime.

4 Likes

Thank you 3Wells for the welcome. I did wonder if making my first post one contradicting the trend here would be wise :slight_smile: .

In the early 90s I had a Demon Internet account and knew some of their staff. I’d previously had Prestel in the late 80s and they had travel operators selling their products there, and there was early banking, Midland Bank, too. There was no WWW then, just basic command line access.

I asked about being able in some way to order my weekly supermarket shop online and have it delivered. They said the logistics would never be possible to do things like that. Shopping online? Never! Who knows what we might be able to do in another 30 years?

1 Like

Vickya

I met my other half who is a software engineer in 1994

My first idea about computers and connected household appliances was that I could call home and have the oven ready for use when I got home from work

I am still waiting for that because the internet of things is apparently not secure

However I don’t work now so I don’t need to be able to work my things from afar

Memories of Windows 3.1 and dial up modem to keep in touch while he worked abroad

And now my smarter than me phone can do loads more than that laptop could

2 Likes

I can’t begin to understand cryptocurrencies and don’t feel the need. I’m risk-averse regarding money but will spend out on stuff that others may feel unnecessary - like a new roof, for example. The old gold standard seemed fine, but I am ignorant and shouldn’t be trusted :slight_smile:
Soo xx

5 Likes

Or to put it another way, “I have sufficient self-awareness to know that I may possibly be wrong and any comment, opinion or advice that I offer comes with that implicit caveat. I am therefore considerably more trustworthy than those who cannot even conceive of the possibility that they might be wrong.”

6 Likes

Ta, joe :slight_smile:
Soo xx

5 Likes

I’m with joe on that one!

3 Likes

I got the first modem and account to stay in touch with Merchant Navy husband by telex. Then the daughters, 11 and 13, after playing computer games found chatlines. We all made friends and I got hooked on some games too. It cost a fortune to play in those days and husband was not amused at the phone bills.

Ouch for the reminder about phone bills
I still wince when I think of 4 figure bills for just me in the house

I guess “NFTs” are sort of related: someone in work just posted this link on our internal chat:

https://twitter.com/SeanBurkeShow/status/1487048290277408770

[Edited to add: I am NOT a fan of NFTs, and consider them little more than a scam]

4 Likes

NFTs are money laundering for people who are too stupid to do money laundering, plus bonus environmental crime.

4 Likes

Have to laugh about Melania Trump’s hat auction: she has been disposing of one of her hats and hoped for cryptocurrency bids in excess of $250,000 – for a hat, good god, a rather dull one at that, you could probably buy a small country for that amount if you shopped around a bit – and was doing quite nicely until the particular currency she’d chosen to accept nosedived and lost 68% of its “value” in a week.

2 Likes

Recruiter: Come and work in this exciting blockchain firm!
Feral’s Mate: No. I don’t want anything cryptocurrency related on my CV.
Recruiter: Hmm, a lot of people are saying that. Can you explain why?

4 Likes