Daily Mail Weekend Magazine Archers Update August 9-12

There’s a right ding-dong over at Willow Cottage, the likes of which have not been seen in Ambridge for at least a week.Alice lashes out left, right, and centre, and the damage seems irreparable. As ever, she’s riddled with guilt after the event, but this time, she makes a drastic decision.
Meanwhile, the much-humbled Aldridges wearily attempt to create some kind of order, but it’s all getting too much for them.
The chaos seems to be catching as the summer fete - always a bit of a tinderbox - gets some of the villagers overheated and, as if that wasn’t enough for our poor frazzled nerves in one week, Lynda makes a shocking discovery, and the results of Ruairi’s A levels (and the fiercely fought scarecrow competition) are announced.

Thanks to Maggiesaes of ‘The Archers in Mustardland’

4 Likes

Why in the seven hells is Alish returning to Willow Cottage rather than her own place, whatever it’s called (I lose track)?
And even more WHY does that lunkhead Chrystiffur’s pronouncement that it is time for her to come ‘home’ carry any weight at all? Amy could pitch her out if Amy wanted to, but where Alice went thereafter would be up to her and has eff-all to do with the aforementioned lunkhead. Grrr.

4 Likes

Yes. Cobwebs must abound at The Nest, think that’s what it’s called. Anyhow, sounds like at the very least some china is going to be chucked around at Willow Cottage. Looking forward to that!
As to Chrystiffur, he is a lunkhead, isn’t he? Doesn’t seem to get it that he is the responsible parent, not his mother. Maarthur must come first, so dump her on yer Mum and let her take over. I know Susan’s being a pain and is reluctant to relinquish control, but he seems to have totally given up taking care of his own child.

4 Likes

Without realising that he’s done so! Particularly weird given how the Ambridge microclimate makes men come over all broody, then fatherly.

4 Likes

I suppose Roy is similar in that he fought for Phoebe to stay in England when Kate wanted to take her to South Africa and - I understand - did not do a great deal of the day-to-day care of the child, it was left to Betty and Hayley.

Susan is doing this to herself, just as Jill does it to herself at Brookfield, but it doesn’t let those who permit it to happen off the hook.

5 Likes

Ah but if Soosan martyrs herself with care of Martha and moans enough she will be a saint in the eyes of all

And if she denies Jenny any role in Marthacare it is only to the good as Jenny spawned an alcoholic so must be punished

5 Likes

I think you’ve expressed very nicely how martyrs think, Twellsy. Susan’s irritating the heck out of me at the moment. So is Christopher. It’s insane to reject any help with Martha that the Aldridges are willing to give. In my opinion. And it oughtn’t to be Susan’s choice but that’s how it appears, that she is calling all the shots, won’t let anyone else help. Christopher needs to take a bit of responsibility. He’s acting as if he’s a child of the house and has to do as his mother says.

4 Likes