Dan's timely appearance

All right; he arrived, he heard the row going on, he said, “So it was true.”

The implication was definitely that he had come home rather than go to see Dorothy because of having heard that his parents were breaking up.

Who told him?

3 Likes

Jim. Or at least I thought I heard him say ‘So Grandad wasn’t exaggerating’. I didn’t hear any gravelly footsteps, though :wink:

3 Likes

He arrived as silently as Ben or Ruairi.

3 Likes

So for once we share a delusion. I expect they edited them out.

3 Likes

He did say that, Gus

I have just listened with my headphones on

Twice

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

…he’s not her friend any more?

3 Likes

tut, joe < immature sniggering >. He’s a commissioned man.
One does rather wonder, slightly Damian Hirstly, what a decomissioned man might look like. Spars all over the shop, I’ll warrant ye.

3 Likes

As in "Hirst and Form(aldehyde)most?

3 Likes

Probably. Look, can I get back to you bai? only I’ve all these diamonds to embed in my skull to meet targets and I’ve only nutted 18 trophy fiancees on the fist this evening …
Not saying at all that DH is not an artist, perish the thort. Direct me to the nearest pharmacy, please. An edake is coming on.

3 Likes

I’m prepared to cut him a fair bit of slack because he proved early on that he’s perfectly able to do the whole representative thing if he wants:

IMG_2526

(This is the equivalent of what one of my teachers referred to as the “Chorale Test”. When faced with “experimental” music, could the originator correctly harmonise a Bach chorale? If not, they’re bluffing.)

3 Likes

An excellent principle.
I still have me theories as to why yon cat looks so worried, mind…

3 Likes

DH was just another not-terribly-interesting artist, and then the Saatchis decided to make lot of money off him. They decide what sort of thing he does now.

4 Likes

It’s a sad waste of talent.

3 Likes

Can Dan eff off again now, please? Self-obsessed little twerp and intellectually and emotionally unfit for command.
I hope that the fair Dorothy, when he rocks up to check whether they love each other or not, gives him the heave-ho, the bum’s rush, his cards* and a few home truths to boot. Oh, and the boot as well.

• Definitely a case of “I would not breed from this officer”
3 Likes

I think he is doing reasonably well for someone who had the foundations of his life to date kicked out from under him less than three days ago, actually.

3 Likes

Interesting that you see it that way. The impression I am getting is that he has not actually progressed beyond that stage of childhood when one’s parents exist merely as appendages to oneself and do not have lives other than in relation to one, Their Child. And I would very much like to kick his bottom.

4 Likes

Me too!

4 Likes

I think being out in the Wide World in a place where things can get life-or-death quite suddenly, it may be more important for people in the army to feel that the England Home and Beauty they could be expected to lay down their lives for is reasonably stable? More so perhaps than for children at university, for instance.

4 Likes

Agreed, but I’d still like to join Gus in kicking his bottom.

4 Likes

That is certainly a point. But wouldn’t the Wide World and army life also be expected to foster a sense of proportion and of one’s own relative importance in the scheme of things?
I haven’t got a down on army personnel, just on Daniel Hebden Lloyd. I wish he had a longer name to stencil, frankly ;- )

5 Likes