Exhibit A - a working farmer

Little chance of them finding exhibits B, C, D…

2 Likes

No chance of the ghost of Ben being spotted, I guess ??

3 Likes

Who???

2 Likes

Particularly rich coming from the Condiment Queen. Why did Tony not say that he had rather hoped to be a retired farmer by now?

3 Likes

I have a feeling that he doesn’t want to be retired, but finds having to put up with Tom so awful that he suggested that he might retire simply in order to get away from the little horror.

4 Likes

Maybe Tom could help Tony demonstrate why farming is such a high-risk occupation?

3 Likes

I think he would be very happy to drop all the leek-wrangling and radiccio herding and just converse with his Anguses. Hoo the noo, coo? Hoo’s yersel’, Big Tone?

3 Likes

Which reminds me… Thursday morning (I think it was Thursday) I was listening to Farming today. They had the one “white sheep” of the Grundy family. A farmer in Cornwall I think it was -David Grundy - who had just sold a new young bull, to a farm that has rare cattle breeds.

Surprisingly it was a fascinating short report. Much more interesting than hearing God’s Little Phony, Pip, supposedly talking off the cuff (yet quite obviously reading) some guff about Brexit.Interesting also that the Ambridge Plague, went from being IDR (that’s what it sounded like to me, though not LA’d again yet), to IBR, in about 5 mins.

3 Likes

I couldn’t help wishing we’d heard the good bits in the episode tonight. People giving Pip a hard time, for instance and that person wanting to cosy up to the Stabby One would have been hilarious.

‘I’ve brought me own knife, would you mind holding it while we pose for a selfie? Ooh, that’s a really good mad expression you’re putting on. Oh, you weren’t?’

5 Likes

Oh if only it were possible to ‘double-like’ a post, Janie [quote=“JustJanie, post:9, topic:430”]
Ooh, that’s a really good mad expression you’re putting on. Oh, you weren’t?’
[/quote]

gurgle chuckle splutter

3 Likes

They were reaoo peopoo, too! There was another glaring one, but I can’t remember it now; was it something about how peopoo feeoo? I certainly remember the cringe, though.

2 Likes

We had tressoo tayboos, Joe! And nootrishonoo.

3 Likes

“Tressoo tayboos” - that was it! Thanks JJ

4 Likes

But just in case you think she was in the least bit consistent, we also had ‘flexibLe’. I must listen to Matt next time he speaks. I’m sure he would say ‘tayboo’ as well, but it wouldn’t sound wrong.

Joe, you have a good ear: do you have the impression that she is putting on the ‘mockney’ with her ‘tressoo tayboos’ and her ‘cattoo’ and that she occasionally lapses into her natural way of speech and pronounces her Ls or is it the other way round? Her speech is so all over the place that it leaves me with no idea of what accent is natural to her.

3 Likes

Somewhere on the internet there is a short film made by Daisy Badger when she was about fifteen about what it was like living on a farm when the foot-and-mouth outbreak was going on. I think that might be her natural voice; I’ll see if I can locate it.

3 Likes

She was fourteen.

That definitely suggests the “fieood” voice is her own. A poor attempt to sound more RP, then?

3 Likes

Fascinating. So ‘animoos’ etc is her natural way of speaking! She sounded so much more together in that clip than she does as Pip. Pip’s voice is all over the place.

3 Likes

Why does she do it? She is from Worcestershire, isn’t she? That might have been why she got the role. So why not stick to her natural accent? I blame the acting school!

4 Likes

So much for the wonders of drama school.

4 Likes