How supportive was that?

Yes, what a good plan: tear your husband to pieces in front of the woman he divorced, and her new husband who happens also to be his brother, then gloat with her about having made a fool of him in front of them.

I don’t think I like Nic very much for her behaviour this evening. If she thinks so little of Will, and she clearly has too low an opinion of him to bother to discuss things with him rather than enjoy having a really thorough go at him in public, why did she marry him? Because he had a steady job and was clearly besotted enough to pay for her children?

3 Likes

Will had decided without asking her that she’d be happy take on George more often. That doesn’t make the way she went about dealing with him right. He needed sorting out but she should have tried a quiet word in private. So I don’t like either of them tonight.

3 Likes

I felt sorry for Will. He’d been a prannet, but did Nic need to behave in such a vile way?

He on the other hand was totally nice to her about it. So tonight, he behaved a lot better than she or the shrewish Emma did. Ed behaved best: sitting filling his face and grunting only when asked a question.

3 Likes

It was a very self-conscious piece of writing, I thought. ‘Ooh, look how I’m on the side of the women’, the writer appears to be saying. Whereas it had more the feel of a comic opera plot where the women conspire in devious fashion to outwit the menfolk because they know they don’t have the power to achieve what they want by straightforward means.

4 Likes

Yes, it was very irritating. The cunning little vixens outwitting the gamekeeper.

5 Likes

Except that Nic knows that she always gets what she wants, so she didn’t need to conspire with Emma.

What she was saying, though she may not have noticed it, was that there is not really room in her house for George. “Look how crowded it is” applies when he is there, so she was unwilling for him to be there more often than the one night a week he already is. He’d be the one too many. And she also said that he was lying to his father: another thing which indicates her real feelings about each of them.

1 Like

Cunning little vixens can be shot by gamekeepers
.[quote=“JustJanie, post:4, topic:314”]
It was a very self-conscious piece of writing,
[/quote]
I agree, Janie - poorly done.
No danger of me feeling sorry for Will, Chris. I assume that the SWs have hung him up in the boot-room, like the stinky waxed effort he is.
Soo xx

4 Likes

JJ, that seems to be something that has been in TA ever since the VW days (what a lot of initials). I’ve been in groups where the women have pretty much always got their way, as generally happens in TA, and they never made such a blasted fuss about it as this lot do. If a man and a woman argue in TA, the woman is Right and the man is Wrong.

5 Likes

Yes, it was that ‘Tee-hee, we put one over on The Men’ attitude that got up my goat (a mangled expression a friend of ours used to use). It reminds me of fifties sit-coms where the little woman has to scheme to get her way. As indeed they did, then. There’s a bit of that in ‘The Marriage of Figaro’, Susanna and the Countess have to play a trick on the Count to stop him behaving egregiously, but again, women had little or no power to assert themselves.

It seems to go against the notion of equal rights for the sexes in a 21st Century context.

Yet I am sure the writer is patting himself on the back for being so right on.

5 Likes

and turned into fur coats for their wives.

3 Likes

Me liking your post doesn’t mean I endorse the sentiment. I have my own fox of whom I am particularly fond.

2 Likes

I use it for similar reasons, because it is snorkworthy. I take it your friend wasn’t called Nora, lived in deepest Devon and been dead these thirty years…

The young Mrs Grundys are a pair of nasty wee besoms. Will was well shot of the one, but dumb enough to lumber himself with the other and two spawn by another man. Can’t imagine that sits terribly well in his heart of hearts.

4 Likes

Apart from both being dead, no, no points of similarity. Was Nora Irish by any chance?

3 Likes

Is there a linen chest for Fals-, er, Will to hide in before being tipped into the Am?

2 Likes

Enter Bert Fry, complaining about people jumping out of the window and wrecking the flower beds…

2 Likes

“Badly done,” surely?

Yes. Fancy that! Verging on Oirish, as I recall.

1 Like

Of Irish descent I believe, Janie.

3 Likes

Interesting, because the late friend who had a genius for mangling sayings was Irish though he lived most of his adult life in Canada. ‘Six of one and a dozen of the other’ was another favourite that we’ve incorporated into family sayings. And ‘sitting on both sides of the fence’.

Oh, and his son has inherited the trait though to a less marked degree!

5 Likes

If it’s not one thing, it’s two things.

4 Likes