I know JD's always been a bit of an airhead, but…

…has she forgotten where Ruairí came from?

2 Likes

Bizarre, innit. Mind you, I suppose the combination of Miranda’s subtly portrayed awfulness and JD’s familial fondness for her sister together with the All-Men-Are-Bastards trope put her on Lilian’s side, sort of believably.

4 Likes

It felt this evening more like “men stick together” vs “women stick together” than anything more nuanced.

3 Likes

It was as shite to mine ears. The women were utterly vacuous and the men ‘getting on with the business’ (sorry for unwelcome imagery) ground my teeth down, even further.
Soo xx

4 Likes

That Jenny was, to my mind, in the right - I abhor the idea of a big public proposal of marriage - doesn’t help my mental equilibrium at all. That’s not her job!

4 Likes

Yes, and a lot of ‘men are like this’ and ‘women are like this’ … that was tedious. Do people really still speak like that?

6 Likes

Very stupid ones, perhaps.

I used to divide the people I came across into “male” as opposed to “masculine”, and “female” as opposed to “feminine”, and I always found that the ones who were masculine and feminine rather than male and female tended towards stupidity in one way or another. It is a difficult definition to make, but on the whole, if someone worries more about how they look to outsiders than about how they feel to themselves (as an individual rather than as part of a unit; this is not “keeping up with the Joneses” in a family way) they are probably masculine/feminine and likely to be a bore to have around. Primping of any sort is masculine/feminine: going for a walk in the clothes you wear all the time is male/female, having special clothes for being seen going for a walk in is masculine/feminine. (I discount shoes; shoes do need to be a comfortable fit for walking any distance. But designer wellingtons? Really? Do they keep out water better than ordinary farm wellies?)

This does not include deliberate “dressing up”: School speech days, the opera, weddings, yes of course you dress up and think about how you look. But not going out to the shops to buy a pint of milk, for heavens’ sakes! I knew a woman once who wasted a lot of her time going to collect parcels from the sorting office and getting them three days later than she needed to, just because she couldn’t answer the door to the postman without being fully made up. This struck me at the time as being silliness, and I still think that it was thirty years and more later. I’d have felt the same about a man who had to shave before he could take in a parcel.

I would bet that Jennifer does nothing in the morning before she puts on her face, and I am absolutely sure that Lilian doesn’t want to be seen slapless. The thing that amazes me is that either of them would ever have a lover, as opposed to a husband. How does Lilian manage being seen with a naked face?

3 Likes

I would bet that Jennifer does nothing in the morning before she puts on her face, and I am absolutely sure that Lilian doesn’t want to be seen slapless. The thing that amazes me is that either of them would ever have a lover, as opposed to a husband. How does Lilian manage being seen with a naked face?

I bet she rolls into bed fully trowled up in the day’s make up. The sheets and pillowcases must be far worse than the Fake Bake skid marks the Grundies encountered after their B&B departed.

2 Likes

[quote=“Migrantfrperson, post:8, topic:120”]
I bet she rolls into bed fully trowled up in the day’s make up. The sheets and pillowcases must be far worse than the Fake Bake skid marks the Grundies encountered after their B&B departed.
[/quote]I don’t believe that Jennifer doesn’t take off her face, cleanse, tone and moisturise before retiring and I even have a vague inkling that we heard her talking to Brian while doing just that a few years back. I have no way of proving this and it could be false memory syndrome, of course.

By the way, Migrant, if you want to quote, if you highlight the pertinent - or impertinent, depending on to whom you wish to respond - text in that post a little gry box with " Quote in it appears and if you just hit on that a reply box with your selected text in it opens up as if by magic, and you get the quote and source appearing in a snazzy light grey box at the top when you submit.

2 Likes

I think you are right about the nightly routine, because I too have a vague memory of a conversation with Brian while she did it.

To my eyes the box with a quote in it is not really grey, more like very pale greyish green. Looking at it next to the squarish doohickey boxes down the right-hand sides of the posts (the ones with a blue dot and a sideways arrow and a spanner in them), which I can do easily because it’s next to one, they are grey and it is different.

1 Like

I wasn’t going to say this, but typing seems to be occurring willy nilly, aren’t there fifty shades of grey (at least)?

Depends on one’s monitor, for a start, but what I see is definitely grey. (Fight! Fight!)

2 Likes

Heh!

[mode=wilfulprovocation]

Which bit of ‘To my eyes’ did you not understand?

[/mode]

More seriously, do the little boxes and the quotes look the same colour on your monitor? if so, I have a friend who can probably sell you a new monitor at enormous expense…

1 Like

It is possibly a marginally paler grey in the quote boxes than in the little doohickey boxes, but it is definitely grey to my eyes (which I did understand, btw - hence the ‘but what I see’ proviso). And that’s just fine.
[mode=wilfulprovocation]Being a fish, have you perhaps got a thin smear of algae on your monitor in the central area, leading you to believe that you are seeing green? [/mode]

3 Likes

I can’t see a spanner or a blue(?) dot. Should I get a techie over, or tune up the specs?

2 Likes

You should be able to see the sideways arrow pointing to the left at the side when you are replying. It’s replicated in the boxes at the bottom of a thread when you aren’t, iyswim. The blue dot indicates your ‘watch’ status for the topic. The spanner is, I think, an admin and modly tool which might explain why you can’t see one.

2 Likes

Square algae, man!

2 Likes

There’s a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one…

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re supposed to keep the sticky notes round the edge of the monitor…

(Don’t laugh, I have seen a tech support complaint because the windows opened full-screen and the user had covered the bottom half of his monitor with sticky notes when he’d run out of bezel.)

3 Likes

TippEx on the screen?

2 Likes

All right, who has been putting ticky-tacky on my monitor?

3 Likes