Is Kirsty insane?

Tom? She wants Tom of all people to accompany her to the docs to see if she can still conceive? Has she no inkling what Tom is going to think if she gets passed as fertile?

It would almost, I say almost, be better to have Helen by her side and yes, I do realise what I am saying. Of course her best bet would be to stay well away from the BFNI altogether.

Anyone else want to shake her till her teeth rattle? Yes, Gus dear, I know you nearly always do, but now especially?

3 Likes

Mad as a hatter. And yes, I want to shake her more than ever and possibly also slap her about a bit.
He’s not the brightest at the best of times, but Tom will be exceedingly confused when next she tells him to butt out/sod off/take his mucky paws off her this minute. And for once, he’d be within his rights to be.

2 Likes

Kirsty’s high point for me was “aaaaaaaargh” on 24 April 2014. Her hanging around Ambridge since then just continues to lower her in my estimation.

4 Likes

Yes, why on earth did she come back there? It is not her home, she had nowhere to live there and no job either, plus a family which she ought to have been happy to run several miles to avoid: why set foot in the place at all?

3 Likes

Her coming back to Ambridge was plot-related. She was needed, so thought the storywriters at any rate, to see what was going on with Helen and rescue her. But yes, why on earth would she come back?

I believe they could have handled the Helen/Rob story perfectly well without Kirsty just by having the whole of Ambridge not be blind and deaf to anything Rob-related, but there you go. People ought to have been talking like mad about Rob’s nasty, bullying behaviour and they ought to have been saying at first, ‘Well, nasty git, isn’t he? At least he seems devoted to that odd wife of his.’ Then that would gradually evolve to their noticing that he wasn’t actually awfully nice to her either.

Oh, well, that’s water under the bridge. Now, I think they’re handling the Kirsty and Tom business in equally annoying fashion. I loathe the way everyone told Kirsty she wasn’t ready to go back to work and hey presto she wasn’t ready to go back to work so now she has to apologise for not doing as she was told. If everyone had been talking to me like that, I’d have gone back to work out of bloody-mindedness, ready or not as perhaps Kirsty did. Did all those people telling her she ‘must take time to grieve’ think of that?

2 Likes

It occurs to me that what is now called “taking time to grieve” looks perilously close to what my mother called “wallowing in self-pity”.

Neither Tom nor Kirsty can be grieving for somebody they knew, because they didn’t know that baby. What they are upset about is what happened to them, in each case; and not to each other, either.

The same is true, even more so, in the case of Ruth, who was aware that she was pregnant for twelve whole days of which she spent at least six not wanting to have another baby and frightened because it was sure to be a difficult pregnancy. Any “oh I am so sad” there is self-pity plain and simple.

2 Likes

I’m a little softer than you, o Fish, but I think there are two components here.

① The amount of trauma you experience from a bad thing happening to you is largely determined by acculturation. If you have been told that a miscarriage, or failing your exams, or being raped, or losing your job, is just something to expect every once in a while, you’ll be less thrown when it happens than if you have been told that it’s the end of the world.

② Once someone has gathered that load of trauma, the level of which may be uncorrelated with how bad anyone else thinks the thing that happened to them is, they need to do something about it. While there are some techniques that often work well, there’s nothing universal, and no way of working out how much time and effort someone will need to recover.

2 Likes

This being TA, a course of lemon drivel usually suffices. In rare cases where that doesn’t work, raiding the Peggybank is a most effective panacea.

5 Likes

Damn right! And yet everyone in Ambridge, it sounded like, seemed to think they knew better than Kirsty how she felt about it and what she needed to do about her feelings.

Gah.

2 Likes

That absolutely was the part I found infuriating along with those listeners on various social media nodding approvingly (as I saw it) at all those platitudes levelled at Kirsty about ‘needing time to grieve’. Oh, and ‘you must be devastated’ - that little jewel came from Helen. And then taking criticism of that to mean one was saying Kirsty should be stoical and stiff upper lip.

And now, Kirsty having to grovel to those who knew better and were proved right is particularly nauseating.

3 Likes

I kept hearing an implied “…or else”

3 Likes

Oh, joe, that’s a little unfair. Helen wasn’t wishing Kirsty to be devastated as such, she just had this script of ‘This is Me supporting a Devastated Friend post miscarriage, so I can bring all my recent experience of popping out a live one to bear - oops, see what I did there?!! - and showing I have Grown and Matured’ (into an even more swollen and self-obsessed arse who stalks people round the bird hides, but hey - detail).

5 Likes

I am sincerely hoping that Kirsty’s well intentioned but entirely unnecessary guilt baking of the inevitable Lemon Drivel should include a magic ingredient - Lactulose. That way, all the scoffers can truly share the experience of “Letting it all go” .:toilet:

5 Likes

Note to self: never accept cake from a ‘creative thinker’ like Migrant

5 Likes

Tee hee!

4 Likes

It’s not as though you weren’t warned…

It’ll be cheese next, won’t it.

2 Likes

Prompt Mankwold Excursion?

1 Like

Que? Not ‘…sadilla’, just ‘que?’

yrs, fickaspigdribble.