Kenton and Freddie

Surely, if anyone - Freddie included - was caught dealing drugs at The Bull then Kenton would implode, and more than likely lose his licence too. The “poor boy” comments don’t ring true for me.

5 Likes

I see Kenton as being “all mates together” while it was going on and he was getting his cut, “how could you do this to me” when it fell apart. But my mental model of Kenton is not complimentary.

4 Likes

You’re at least partially wrong: it isn’t his licence to lose. Even if the pillock did call himself a ‘publican’ last night.

3 Likes

Be fair, “a publican’s husband whom she graciously allows to do some of the simpler jobs” takes longer to say.

3 Likes

…than “pillock”.

3 Likes

Kenton sells drugs in the Bull every day of the week.

His feeling is fellow-feeling: unlike Kate, unlike Elizabeth, Kenton has not forgotten what it was like being eighteen, and is therefore not inclined to get into hysterical blame-games over things like an eighteen-year-old having a dealer sharing her cottage with her, or getting so drunk the brat doesn’t know where it is, or taking and driving away while drunk… (Nigel was twenty-four when he did that; Elizabeth chooses to forget that the sainted Nigel was not at all saintly when he was Freddie’s age and quite a bit older). Freddie’s crime really is not the big deal all the Outraged Citizens are making it out to be: less likely by a long way to cause death than (say) Ed’s twoccing and drunk-driving, which they all condone on the grounds that he was young at the time – he was the same age as Freddie, more or less.

Kenton and Jolene have both served booze to a slurring, falling-over drunk (Alice) and also require Nic to do so – which is illegal, and could lose Jolene her licence.

3 Likes

Agreed.

He’s still a pillock though.

3 Likes

He has clearly been one since he was sixteen, but at least he remembers it!

3 Likes