Not a cookery show, but

“We’re having tea soon…”

And the chilli is still at the chopping onions stage. Now, in my books that means the chilli is still at least a four hour simmer away from “tea” time. At worst an hour away. Not to mention the fact the person making said chilli was nowhere to be seen (heard).

7 Likes

Well, it is conceptually a stew, after all, and (except in fantasy novels) stews take time.

One might have thought that Gurpreet Kaur Bhatti (for it is she) would know this. I dunno what her cultural food background is (she is after all a British Sikh), but for example a curry is also conceptually a stew…

5 Likes

A good quality steak chilli is a stew but most would use mince, in a frying pan, and it would take around 30 to 40 minutes.

6 Likes

If I were making a mince fryup I might well add chilli to it, but I wouldn’t call it a chilli…

4 Likes

With tinned beans that don’t need to be soaked overnight, I assume.

4 Likes

Fryup being the operative word, Dunnock

I think that most stews, meat curries & goulash-type meals involve quite a bit of preparation, benefit from long, slow cooking anna night in the 'fridge to ‘ripen’.

Gawds

I have a sudden desire fer oxtail , which won’t be happening, as I haven’t got any

Adds to The List

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

You’re Southern, aren’t you.

Of course.

6 Likes

Beans in a chilli? Well, I don’t feel as religious about it as some people, but mostly I’m not in favour.

5 Likes

Haven’t eaten red kidney beans since hallucinating after eating them

Mr C too

Tinned

I may need an Medicinal to wipe that memory

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Beware PHA…

A big problem with slow cookers - best to pre-cook the beans before adding them. Cannellini / butter beans can have the same issue. Normally tinned beans are OK (they’re cooked) but still best to boil them for about ten minutes.

4 Likes

All stoos from wherever they are need slow long cooking

Pulses need very slow cooking too

5 Likes

Only after being boiled vigorously - as per the above.

4 Likes

Potentially Hazardous Asteroid? Well, yes, but…

In the Fishly Kitchen, rejected with contumely…

4 Likes

I hurl my steeped pulses at a pan with water and once they have had a good boil they are drained and put in their sauce in a bean pot in the oven for a burble all day in a slow oven

5 Likes

Quite right too, Twellsy. Although I find that the burbling then continues into the night

4 Likes

Surely you’re not expecting me to be able to spell “phytohaemagglutinin”?

4 Likes

“Recovery occurs within four or five hours of onset, usually without the need for any medical intervention”

Well that’s no fun.

4 Likes

Only because they make me ill even when they have been properly boiled.

4 Likes

Who knew that beans and children had so much in common?

7 Likes

Gus dear I cook on a range so burbling is an all day and all night affair

Yup I am a true country woman or WI type of substantial old besom who does resemble a clipper ship under full sail…

4 Likes