O'Connor "takes on exciting new projects"

An excellent analysis of his failures, here:

He gets a £90K golden get lost, payment.

That’s the cost of 600+ TV licences down the pan.

3 Likes

With the names changed, an awful lot of that article could be complaints about TA.

4 Likes

I’d’ve said the complaints were the opposite: that he over-dramatised TA, and didn’t dramatise enough for EE.

2 Likes

Wife beating story having a rushed conclusion, stories being grafted onto characters rather than character led, repeated claims about taking it back to the days of Julia Smith … all very familiar.

4 Likes

Interesting to read of John Yorke’s “magnificent period running The Archers”; I thought the official line was that VW was due perfectly normal “long service leave”? Are they finally admitting that he was brought in because TA had gone so far off-track?

2 Likes

That’s the problem with telling lies … it needs a good & long memory. Not helped by personnel changing.

3 Likes

SOC fails spectacularly in that regard. He refused to appear on Feedback until the backlog of legacy SLs was cleared, yet on his second appearance (a year later) claimed that Ye Grete Ambridge Fludde was planned before he arrived. I wonder if he would have said the same had it been the triumph he expected?

3 Likes

He’s responsible for my disconnection which I can’t recover from, though I try. Which is perhaps an argument for Not the Archers.

As long as it is really Not the Archers for ever for him.

5 Likes

I’ll second that emotion!

3 Likes

I’ve noticed one or two “leave him alone, he livened TA up” comments elsewhere. I can’t say I’m surprised by whom in most of the cases.

5 Likes

Sean O’Connor: This was all about trying to understand or get to the heart of Helen Archer’s character. She is a person who both the audience and some of the writers have found hard to grasp over time. We wanted to explore or examine her and see who she is. It’s a story about her. This is completely honest - we never talk about ratings in the office

Quite apart from the arrogance why didn’t this set the alarm bells going in management? What’s his attitude going to be if/when his movie crashes and burns? I’d be terrified of investing money in him.

5 Likes

What a load of bollocks. For the avoidance of doubt, that pithy analysis refers to the content of the link and should not be taken to have more general application.

4 Likes

Wow. What a crock of shi… .

Exactly the sort of b/s I rail against and so many people seem to have conveniently forgotten about. The constant referencing of expert groups he involves, the deep intentions he had, the fabricated deeper intentions.

wte of “it’s not about Rob … it’s to show Helen’s compexities”.

Simply making bllx up which later he claimed not to have said. How did the jail scenes showcase how brutal these places are … it seemed quite cozy tbe way it was portrayed.

He also enjoyed his actors supporting him didn’t he ? How could they contradict him. Sock-puppetry really … and maybe even real life examples of coercive control !!!

God, i dislike him.

3 Likes

Quite. They couldn’t do a pithy analysis of a piece of grapefruit peel.

As for some of SoC’s answers:

Q1.
See. I told you he’d be back… As will bleedin’ Rob.

Q3.
What does an openly gay male, know about “difficult and complex young woman” ?
His answer is all theoretical. Pretentious prat!

Q7.
More theory from the idiot." Everything is possible in Ambridge. I deliberately didn’t put them together because they weren’t ready for each other."
Who is he to decide if they’re ready for each other?

Q13.
And there you have it…From his own big-mouth, proof that TA was being run not for the benefit of the listeners. But to satisfy his own God-complex. I suspect, exactly the same reason that cost him EE.

2 Likes

“It is Helen’s story, of her going through this dark phase of her life, that the audience want to identify with.”

No, they don’t. Nobody wants to identify with a nasty loser who makes every mistake in the book, surely to God? They want to think, “I wouldn’t be so frinking stupid!

4 Likes

Yes; while characters like this are sometimes welcomed, I think it’s not as an identification figure, more “oh thank goodness I’m not as bad as all that”.

4 Likes

Or you view her from the parental angle and your own offspring are suddenly flawless.

4 Likes

[quote]
Henry was simply a very effective sound-effect.[/quote]

Incontrovertible proof that the man knows eff all about radio

5 Likes

And how little care he took over the use of him.

5 Likes

I was a bit surprised by how far down the thread it took before it happened.

4 Likes