Oh good

If nothing else, we may hear Lilian being a fraction discommoded by the owner of the house reappearing and wanting to know who the geezer she has let it to is.

1 Like

With the worst pantomime intro line I’ve heard in decades.

1 Like

Oh dear

1 Like

And not Kim Durham? The inflection sounded all wrong.

2 Likes

They are not telling us in the credits, I don’t think.

1 Like

It is Kim Durham. @BCCTheArchers has confirmed it on Twitter. I thought he sounded different. I’m guessing he’s out of practice doing Matt. It’s not his natural voice, is it?

1 Like

That’s possible, I suppose. The return of a decent actor is always to be welcomed! His appearance now does rather lend credence to the theory that Matt’s departure was down to “artistic differences”, doesn’t it? (That is to say, he had artistry, SOC had something different…)

4 Likes

I have immediately written and said how much rejoicing there was in supermarket car-parks around the nation, which at just before 19:15 resounded with shouts of “Yes!!!” Being the soul of discretion he will not tell me now any more than he has before what has been going on, but I am delighted he is back; I just hope that the ominous “Out of the blue he returned to Ambridge but who knows how long for…” is just yet another yanking of chains.

And if he has come back because he has no artistic differences with this editor but did with the previous one, enough to want to jump ship, that makes me more inclined to think that Huw the Hyphen may be a Better Thing.

3 Likes

So what do we think Matt has been doing for the last three years? If they want to reintroduce the character, they’re going to have to rehabilitate him somehow, and square it with the grand gesture at the end of the last AmEx. I’m betting on him pursuing the dodgy Russians - and his money. The moonlight flit and piece of paper with writing on were to stop Lilian putting herself in danger by coming after him again.

That or a ménage à trois with Brenda and Anthea.

1 Like

“Tell me not, Pusscat, I am unkind…”

1 Like

Two years and three months, more or less; Lilian got to the Dower House and found Matt missing on 15th January, 2015.

I think the fact that she refused to prosecute him or do anything about his having cleaned out the bank accounts may mean that she cared for him rather a lot, and I just hope that whatever his reason for the flit, he has come back with enough money to pay her back.

3 Likes

Sorry - you’re right, of course. I was thinking of the comment Kim Durham made on the blog about actually leaving the previous July.

1 Like

With time off for good behaviour, sounds like four and a half years.

1 Like