So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Gus

I think the Oaf has great taste

Here my rehab worker is calling to go for a walk and chatter

All socially distant and done properly

But a change all the same

7 Likes

I made bread yesterday.

The Great Beast started to go graunch graunch and whirr at varying speed while making an unhappy noise.

Guess what? All lines to Kenwood UK are closed ā€œduring the current crisisā€.

Alas, it looks as if I shall be demanding my money back and getting a Magimix replacementā€¦

7 Likes

Oh soddit. Thatā€™s a colossal pain.

7 Likes

Someone at the National Trust with a sense of humour, or accidental?

https://twitter.com/nationaltrust/status/1261023776722083841

6 Likes

What a Bugga anna Pity, Fishy

Will you use the breadmaker in the interim? It would be a pity to miss out on fresh bread & Hot Buttered Crustsā€¦

That was Said With Feeling, BTWā€¦

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

Or thereā€™s Dan Lepardā€™s ā€˜no kneading as suchā€™ method, which is really v straightforward

7 Likes

Oh Fishy wot a pain
Email might at least register the fault for when the world starts again

I found Kenwood very good at replacing faulty things

8 Likes

Sadly it looks as if they are also fairly good at making the faulty things in the first place.

8 Likes

I ended up having three food processor attachments when I managed to damage one bit

All working

7 Likes

This is the third time the thing has broken in two years four months. I am inclined to ask for my money back and have a look to see what Magimix are like these days.

Meanwhile, we have at least one victory. The oven light had buist (broken filament, as it turns out) and the cover has been refusing to come off. This is apparently a design flaw with the Neff oven. But the application of WD40 and then a mole wrench to turn the ā€“ rather pathetic, plastic ā€“ tool for removal of the glass of the oven-light has worked and we have a light in the oven again. It is not essential, but it just does make cooking easier if you can see what colour things are.

8 Likes

Hurrah!

Quite. Grr.

7 Likes

Iā€™m surprised. Iā€™ve always found Kenwood very reliable - the Chef is pretty much indestructible. The only reason I bought a new one is that the one I used to have access to belonged to my ex - must be over thirty years old now and probably still going strong. [But what about the Kenwood? - Ed.]

The food processor - also a Kenwood - is of similar vintage. Not quite as robust (plastic rather than metal) but still no problems. I wonder if the attempt to cram in too many features has made the new ones a bit flaky?

7 Likes

My cooking Chef is a happy workhorse of a machine - the bit of a gearbox that works the FP attatchment has a bit of plastic over the top that is delecate if you are not careful
I broke this by being clumsy so it was replaced with a FP for a different model but it does fit and work

When it was reported back to Kenwood that they had sent the wrong model they sent the right one and said keep the other so I have 3 FPs

AND AND AND

WE HAVE A HARE ON THE DRIVE!!!

I am thrilled by us offering a hare a garden to take refuge in

8 Likes

Or to look at that another way, the hare reclaiming the land that is rightfully its own.

Donā€™t take it personal, Twellsy: Iā€™m a bit hacked off with homo sapiens in general.

8 Likes

I am happy to live a shared life with the beasties and birdies Gus

In fact I revel in the company of Fauna

Much nicer than a vast number of homo allegedly sapiensā€¦

8 Likes

You have a point there, Joe

My mother died 23 years ago, & Fambly Friend is still using her Kenwood Chef.
I have a Kenwood Slicer, a Wazzer,(Pace goldilocks ML), & an old, small Food Processor which all work perfectly, but arenā€™t up for anything resembling bread dough.

An sewing thread (!) I read recently was complaining about the Noo generation Singer machines which seem to be giving a lot of grief due to the amount of plastic breaking. Many repairers wonā€™t touch them.

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Similarly, many people elsewhere rave about Magimix. But thatā€™s Magimix of 10-20 years ago.

7 Likes

ā€¦and even cook-generals arenā€™t what they used to be.

6 Likes

Well, in ten days or so we will find out whether a new Bosch is any good. I canā€™t fight it out with Kenwood until they condescend to talk to Us Mere Mortals, and I need to have a food processor. Magimix now has the ā€œjust three buttons, the machine knows what you want without being toldā€ controls, and there is no way that I am interested in that.

Meanwhile, isnā€™t it satisfactory when you have thirty-nine inches of wool left at the end of a garment?

8 Likes

Satisfactory yes, but hair-raising towards the end.

7 Likes