So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

I think I know what the Pink Felt Thing was…

7 Likes

The first thing I cooked was an omelette following the recipe in Grandma’s Woman magazine

Bless her she ate it all and claimed to enjoy it

I was five or six years old

7 Likes

I raise you Purnell’s Complete Cookery, given to me by my first fiancé’s mother. She worried that I might starve him, but I left this to another (3).
Soo xx

6 Likes

I think not.

Though, come to think of it, it anyone can guess, it’ll be you. It did look rather, unsuitable.

6 Likes

I hope that the Doing Better is going well, Dear TFM.

Must sleep - best nights, Cellarites.

Soo xx

6 Likes

Well, felt isn’t a terribly practical fabric for a crab…

6 Likes

Gin, Soo, & fer anyone else in need

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

It is going better thanks soo. Sleep well.

6 Likes

My signature dish when in my teens was kipper omelette. I think the recipe was on the packet of kippers. My mother was extremely flattering about it , since if I made it, then it meant she wasn’t responsible for dinner for a change. The rest of the family also thought it was fine because whatever you think, it really stuck to the ribs.

Oddly enough I haven’t been asked for it recently.

9 Likes

I can imagine that being rib-sticking, Janie.

I certainly like them both separately

Carinthia.xx

8 Likes

Just after the War my mother had to get a new gas cooker (I suspect the first one anybody in the family ever got). It was like an old Vincent motorbike: all the pipework was on display on the outside… and it came with a cookery book called “The Radiation Cookery Book”, full of Useful Recipes for “a meal for four” using cheap ingredients. It has two recipes for Scotch Broth. (Eighteenth edition, 1935, it was. And is; I still have it, with the back cover missing.)

The family of mice living in the bottom of that cooker didn’t happen until later, when it had moved house with us and my elder brother started having mice who were all of them escapologists.

8 Likes

“Why don’t you use the nuclear-powered cooker, Mrs. Tracy? It’s much faster.”
“Well, I’ll tell you, Kyrano. I never did get the hang of those rods.”

yardarm

9 Likes

Morning all

My new creation is on the sideboard

Bacon and onion chopped fine and cooked in the base of an ovenproof dish

Then two large tomatoes scooped out and well seasoned get put on top of the bacon and baked off till starting to soften

Break an egg into each of the martyrs and put the martyrs tops on top and bake till the eggs are cooked and the yolks runny

Serve with sossiges and soda farls

No eggs looking at a Gus so safe

ETA

Two eggs per person is a meal

9 Likes

I could rather fancy that, it would make a good breakfast, I think.

I have been sitting here pondering the (many) design flaws of the human body. It seems to be that the worst of them is the one that makes it impossible to sit on your lazy arse drinking tea/beer/wine/gin/whatever all day, without ever having to get up for anything at all.

8 Likes

Is that a tiny periscope I see emerging from yonder tomato?

7 Likes

I blame the woodlice.

6 Likes

Gus dear that is the tomato stalk

I leave em on as handles for lifting martyr lids…

Not EVERYTHING is a negg looking at you!

7 Likes

Phew. But do admit, Twellsy, it was an easy mistake to make in the circs.

7 Likes

Well for the egg phobic amongst us I can see the problem

7 Likes

Could you beat up the eggs so that you got more of a scrambled effect, no creepy yolks for Gus?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the kippers were in a white sauce, so you can imagine how rib-sticking, what with the eggs, the butter in the sauce, the oil in the kippers and I suppose more butter for cooking the omelette. We all had cast-iron stomachs, luckily. I must ask LadySusan if she remembers. She survived, I can confirm that.

8 Likes