So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Poppy juice pills taken here

I like the wee tweety birds Soo

But none of them have access to gin

So dear dunnock is still the best birdie ever

5 Likes

Ah, Twellsy. I am so sorry that you have had to resort to poppy derivatives.
Kindest wishes.
Soo xx

4 Likes

[swearity] [swearity] [curses]
And why the torrent of profanity? Well, it’s like this…
Preparing to shut down for the night, took a small handful of Very Expensive Biscuits to top up Modom’s bowl lest night starvation strike, and carefully transferred said handful into my drink. I heard that, and no, I hadn’t ‘had too much already’

Gah!

4 Likes

Immoderate Snork ! :wink:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Gus I snorked long and as hard as me edake would allow

5 Likes

Tell that edake to sod off, from me. Gx

4 Likes

F’Dave is coming to collect my vehicle this morning forrit’s Service & MOT

I have been batting about since 6 am, which is ridiculous

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I have been known, when making bread in the machine, to cut the top off the packet of yeast, pour the contents carefully into the bin, and put the packet into the mix.

Edake ere too. Prolly slept wrong. But another blue day, wiv much sun already.

yardarm

5 Likes

I think that a BM would hit the spot this morning

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Not going to argue with you on that, dere. Can you flumph later?
Gxx

4 Likes

I bring bacon butties and fresh hot from the oven loaves

Plain sourdough today

5 Likes

[BM-ity]

and not too much flamin’ greenery.

6 Likes

I am imagining the lid on the bin slowly coming open to cries of ‘It’s alive!’…

4 Likes

There is fresh brown soda available here, with option on extremely fresh brioche if I can be arsed to make it. Any takers?

5 Likes

On the subject if sourdough, this experience came to mind. Rather than start a new thread I’ll put it here …

I was yesterday reminded of my experience of getting sandwich for lunch at my then Company’s Pennsylvania Head Office. …

==============================

After finally reaching the end of what had seemed a short but seemingly inexplicably slow moving queue, the following pantomime began … I learn why a short queue took so long to clear.

“Could I just have a ham sandwich please ?”

“Yes sir. Would you like roast ham, boiled ham, smoked ham, turkey ham (etc. Ad infinitum) …”

“Oh … er … roast please”.

“Breaded, or plain ?”

“Breaded, thanks.”

“Smoked ?”

“No. No thank you.”

“Which bread would you like sir ?”

I sea a vast array of breads. Overwhelming to be honest. She begins to reel of a well practiced list. I plump for sourdough despite having little clue back then what that was as it looked nice snd fluffy. I, oddly, declined “English Muffin” on the grounds that ;
a. It looked like a spectacularly unraised bap.
b. Nothing even remotely like it had ever stepped crumb in England

“White, wholemeal or half & half ?”

“White. … just, plain white please” I say, half expecting the diversity team to appear for me uttering that word.

“What covering would sir like ?”

“Covering ?” I’m beginning to panic now.

“Covering” was her helpful reply. We enter a Hitchcocian stand off as she stares at me and I do a rabbit in headlights impression. A kind (or, more likely, growingly impatient) man behind me say “butter or the like”.

“Ah, yes … butter. Yes. Butter”.

“Three-times churned white butter, single turned low fat butter, olive oil mixed butter, mayo infused butter ?”

I look at another set of options & I am close to trauma. “Just white butter, thank you”.

“With sodium, light sodium or sodium free ?”

“… sodium ???” (Thinks … "wtf is sodium butter ??)

Same helpful/impatient man says … “salt”.

“Aaaah, thank you … with, with … er … sodium please”

A look of genuine horror crosses her face “FULL sodium butter sir ? With HAM ???”

“yes, yes please. Let’s live a little”.

She eyes me suspiciously, but does as requested.
She then goes through the 'putting on of the thin blue plastic gloves ’ ceremony.

Then she takes a knife larger than Excalibur & slices off a number of sizeable pieces from a, frankly, suspiciously enormous haunch of ham more meat than the pilgrims ever saw and with her plastic gloved hands makes up the sarnie.

“Mayo sir ?”

“No thank you”

“Mustard ? … pickles ?” she asks waving her hand to a vast range of options. I resist the temptation to ask if she had any piccalilli and decline.

“Salad ?”

I look, in horror at the 40 or 50 options. “No. No thanks. Just as it is”. I simply couldn’t enter another option festival.

It is clear she is now convinced I’m crackers.

Placing the top piece of bread onto what she plainly feels is a woefully plain ham sandwich, she cuts it with a knife which would have been justifiably used in ‘Game of Thrones’ as Wilko Johnson’s executioner’s weapon, bags it.

She iffers me chips. Chips with a sandwich. I felt compelled to accept … from which point she scooped up a shovelful of crisps (aaargh) & gives it to me with a … & perhaps I’m a tad oversensitive by now, barely civil “Enjoy !”

I go off to settle up, only to find I needed a payment card, cash being sooooo 1980’s. A card I didn’t have. I could visualise the sandwich disappearing like a new ship being launched. The nice, if impatient man, offered to pay.

All I’d wanted a ham sandwich.

7 Likes

Armers., I sympathise.

I have been known to say, to a nice young man in a coffee shop: “What I want is an ordinary white coffee, made with cold milk, and so help me if you offer me anything using any word I don’t immediately understand I shall go elsewhere for it.”

6 Likes

My broccoli is purple and it’s shouting
And has joined the Liberation Front of Calabrese
While the cabbage self-identifies as fennel
In the face of literal violence from the peas…

3 Likes

I know I’m biased but #2 son live BBC1 TV today & I’m genuinelt impressed.

… & he makes a decent point too.

3 Likes

I have just sprayed to death a very large flying (well, buzzing) creature which turns out on further investigation to be a hornet.

I don’t like it, but at least it wasn’t in the bathroom…

3 Likes

They didn’t offer kosher salt (whatever that actually is)? Would go a treat on a ham sandwich…

On which point:

BTW had to go for a tit’n’arse injection just now (slight run-in with Soo) and while sitting in the waiting room the TV in the corner was showing The Daily Politics. One Matt Kilcoyne’s name popped up on screen - your son? The sound was off, unfortunately.

3 Likes