The Ambridge Naughty Step on FB

Well, fair gave me a start when I saw that…
For a second, I thought we had 145 members, and I thought of what I’d posted here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153278474754083/

C-B

3 Likes

So did I. What DOES it mean ?

As Toyah said, “It’th a mythtery”.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m still searching for a clue as well.

(She did some good stuff with Fripp, who did some good stuff with Eno…
It’s unusual for a woman to be able to bore this intensely about music.
I can do motorbikes as well - did I tell you about oversquare pistons?..)

2 Likes

For some reason one of the definitions of a gentleman springs to mind here: ‘someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn’t’.

3 Likes

I stayed once in a house with three just-over-adolescent children still at home, and a mother was a Civic Dignitary and had invited the Mayor of the Twin Town and his lady and a couple more of the exchange group to dinner. The children of the household were still discussing what they had been doing before they were hauled out of the garden by the scruffs of their necks and sent to wash. The visitors were looking slightly dazed as the talk washed past them.

Our Mayor looked at her children, smiled more than usually sweetly, and said just audibly, “Let’s all talk about piston-rings…”

3 Likes

Let’s stick to music c-b. Pistons, over-square or otherwise, are a bit beyond me.

Now, if you anted to talk about Cryogenic Engineering, Nuclear Enrichment, Bottle manufacturing, Car manufacturing … or toilet rolls I’m up for it.

5 Likes

Excellent, Fanta.

Apparently the piston is the name of a type of Oboe invented in 1983, so we could combine the two.
(AS, an oversquare piston is just wider than it’s high, like biscuit tin.There, that knowledge might be critical (or very impressive) one day).

5 Likes

And what are they specifically used for? I know why you might have a big long piston (mechanical strength to withstand side force from angled connecting rod), and why you might have a thin flat piston (light weight for high-speed engine), but what would cause you to select an over-square design specifically?

(Enthusiastic Amateur.)

4 Likes

Isn’t this a topic more suited to The Locker Room? Mr Trump, get off our forum, stop getting angsty about your hands and think about doing something useful instead.

2 Likes

Who are you calling “Mr Trump”?

2 Likes

I find it helps to say that name in a Yorkshire accent…

3 Likes

Who are you calling “Mr Trump”?
[/quote]

All 400 + of you who attended my last birthday party. It was beautiful, and we will make Ambridge great again.

2 Likes

Hoorah!
Goodbye to bad hombres and fake news!
Hoorah!

2 Likes