The Cuckoo

I suspect the squirrel won, being lighter. How did the duck fare?

Next door’s dog just sits at the foot of the tree looking as though he thinks it’s not fair that the squirrels won’t come down!

4 Likes

“Gotta come down eventually. They’ll get hungry. Food doesn’t grow on trees…”

6 Likes

Snork!

3 Likes

The squirrel did that thing squirrels do, running up to a safe distance and then turning round to jeer at the dog down there in the ground. When it realised the dog was closing fast, it panicked and fell out of the tree. Then we had all the fun of getting said hound down from about twelve feet up in a tree…

It was at an angle, which was how he’d done it, but he was not about to turn round up there thank you. In the end I had to climb it after him, turn him by main force and give him a push, and my partner (who was doubled up with laughter) just managed to catch him as he did a sort of controlled fall down it again. Then we had all the fun of getting me down…

3 Likes

Twelve feet! Dalmatians are quite heavy, aren’t they? Especially when dropped from a height. Well, that doesn’t actually make the heavier, but you know what I mean. Physics is not my strong suit or suit at all for that matter.

3 Likes

Aawww! Nuts!

2 Likes

Dalmatians weigh about sixty pounds, I think, but he wasn’t falling straight onto anyone. He sort of hurtled in a downwards lollop more-or-less down the tree.

I knew a Great Dane once who was convinced that cats could fly because he frequently saw them in trees. He used to run about the place looking up and hoping to catch one at it, cannoning into people and walls and bushes and passing bicycles and on one occasion a large horse, which reached down and took him by the scruff of the neck.

He belonged to an eccentric family with a pack of nine cats, one at least of whom could walk through walls, and an epileptic horse who would canter backwards when he was fitting.

4 Likes

the Dane and Dalmatian between them have reduced me to tears of laughter.

4 Likes

They were fairly up to the average comical in their lifetimes.

3 Likes

I never worked out whether GDs are genuinely brainless or very cunning in their ability to get their tame humans to do everything for them

1 Like

I only ever knew one well, but extrapolating from that sample, I would say there’s a streak of cunning but what appears like brainlessness is just a different way of interpreting phenomena such as doors, chairs, tables, cats, muntjak deer (these are apparently Wrong and Unnatural) and vehicles.

He was an enchanting dog.

3 Likes

I haven’t ever met a Great Dane I didn’t like; very gentle dogs, I have found them.

Though there was the visiting GD called Elsa for her colour, when we had a young and very obstreperous Dalma puppy of about five months in the house, who went on at her and on at her and on at her – she played with him very goodnaturedly until she had Had Enough, and then gently took his head into her mouth and stood there wagging her tail slowly for a bit while he stood rigid and silent. He was a bit subdued afterwards, but he let her have a little sleep in peace, which was what I assume she had wanted. She didn’t ever break anything, walking delicately among precious knick-knacks in her owner’s house without ever once bumping into anything.

2 Likes

That’s more like it!. :dove:

1 Like

Maybe, Fanta. I did hear that drummers were thick blokes who hung around with musicians. It was certainly the long-distance drumming I used to hear.

1 Like

I like Elsa’s style.

2 Likes