The proposed name change

The Pull ?

Full

Cull

The Full Cull ? (Which would be promising … in an Ambridge sense)

6 Likes

I tend to favour the Gibbous Moon and Tentacle.

6 Likes

In memoriam Eccles, I suggest The Cock & Bull

Given the existence of this thread, I take it I’m in for another scintillating 12½ minutes?

5 Likes

A suggestion not without merit, but it seems that ‘animal names are not popular’ according to wossname SHRIMPton.
So I think

is currently our favoured candidate. If the ‘Slug & Lettuce’ chain is still going, it’s due a revamp and they could do a great deal worse than adopt that, should the combined Bellamy/Archer think-tank fail to come up with it.

6 Likes

I’m curious as to why any changes are deemed necessary. Unlike most rural (and a lot of urban) pubs, the Bull seems to be heaving every time it’s featured (as do its customers)

5 Likes

Will they go for the trendy open kitchen idea? The punters would flock to watch Wayne at work…

4 Likes

Just Jim of late, to be fair.
But yes, they do need to make up their minds whether the place is thronged and thriving or, well, not.

6 Likes

My experience is that renamed pubs are known by the old name for a decade or more anyway, and being reminded of the new one causes people to be resentful and unhappy.

The Jack of Both Sides at Cemetery Junction in Reading is still called that by everyone I know who knows it, even though it hasn’t been for a while; none of the new names has lasted more than a year or two.

The Boileau Arms just south of Hammersmith Bridge was still being called that on the traffic news for at least five years after it changed to something else.

The Bull is the only pub in the village, and the village isn’t on a major road, so the customers they’ve got are the ones they’re going to get.

6 Likes

Indeed, the old names do persist in a most obstinate fashion (and a jolly good thing too).

That would be why Bella left, then. She’s not at all in Thailand with a digger-bucket full of notes from the (was it Darrington?) ATM and a lightly oiled, lemongrass-infused Josh, is she?

5 Likes

There was a pub in Bristol called The Adam and Eve which was bought and its name changed to The Dolphin.

The locals boycotted it.

After it had been empty for six weeks they changed the name again.

There is a pub in Bristol called The Adam and Eve…

7 Likes

Would you Adam-and-Eve it!

7 Likes

They missed a trick there: it could so easily have been re-renamed The Fish Marine Mammal and Fig-leaf…

4 Likes

Yup, the only people who can change the name of a pub are the customers. There’s a pub a few miles from me called the Castle Arms, supposedly. That is what the sign says and is the name on the licence. It has been there for many centuries and has always been the Castle Arms.

No-one on the island ever calls it the Castle Arms, it is, and always has been, the Glue Pot. I have no idea why. This causes much confusion for tourists.

5 Likes

Best not to ponder that one too deeply, I think, dere. …do they do food?

7 Likes

They do, and it’s not bad on the whole. Good in summer when you can eat on the terrace overlooking the harbour. Or have a drink while you watch the World Tin Bath Championships.

7 Likes

I imagine one would need to. Several, ideally.

5 Likes

Have few while you watch then.

5 Likes

The official story–if one cares to believe it…

The name ‘glue pot’ derives from when smugglers used to pop in for some light refreshment and find it difficult to leave and the name just stuck (no pun intended)! This pub is a hot spot for the World Tin Bath Races, the Southern 100 and the Manx rally.

6 Likes

The source does seem a little confused:

“The story goes that it was built in 1750 by a wealthy man for his daughter”

and

“There are licence records going back to the 1600’s for the Glue Pot. It was built as an dwelling for the gaoler of the castle and was then converted to an Ale house used by the Garrison stationed at Castle Rushen.”

6 Likes

I think it has to be Eccles’ Rest

That way way we can look forward to enjoying the humorous way Jolene has a go about the wretched fowl when peevish with Kenton

6 Likes