Today's episode

did actually have a rather good juxtaposition of two young men with the same problem, a dead father and constant mention of him in relation to them. Given the writer this week, I was surprised.

4 Likes

Indeed. Wasn’t badly done at all.
Tell you what, though, as well as finding myself warming to the character, I very much like the Nolican’tspellit actor.

3 Likes

Possibly this might become a running thread for passing comments about the latest episode? We’ll see.

Today’s offering - 3rd Jan - I found greatly annoying.

Susan now being written as a caricature of herself as much as Lynda is. It doesn’t work.
The implication that the Tea & Tat emporium is a part of the BF business. It is to the extent that presumably Fallon pays rent to the BFNI; but they have no say in the running of that business so why the **** was it portrayed as a logical thing for Susan to harass its customers with BF muck-tasting questionnaires?
How stupid is Pip, to say of a possibly impending baby, ‘It won’t change anything’?
How stupid is Jolene to bolster Pip’s delusion that she has chosen a normal and praiseworthy course of action? Oh, because a baby is always a good thing? Aye. Right.
How stupid is Pip for it not to have occurred to her that the cat, since NYE, is irretrievably debagged and to have said something to her family?

Or perhaps, in view of the impending world shortage of question marks, just ‘How stupid’.
Gah, pah and bah.

5 Likes

I was particularly annoyed that Pip did not immediately say, when Jolene said that she had not said a thing to anyone, “Oh, then it must have been Alice who has been telling everyone.”

3 Likes

Where to start?

3 Likes
  • Agree in spades about Susan and I hate that Emma’s and Susan’s unseemly brawl gave Helen a chance to use those superior, nanny-like tones on them.
  • The Tea & Tat emporium and the Bridge Farm shop are supposed to promote each other’s produce, though I agree that Susan scaring the customers was not on and incredibly crass even for Susan (see your point above).
  • ‘It won’t change anything’? Pip really is taking a leaf out of her dear second cousin’s book, isn’t she? She has also said she has ‘thought it through’. Sadly I suspect she is quite right. Brookfield will in true Brookfield-fashion rally round. Jill will be in charge and coerce everyone, including the boys, into taking a turn caring for the brat so that Pip can continue her course as The Future of Brookfield.
  • Jolene … well, I’m going to cut her some slack. She was reacting positively to Pip saying she was going to have the baby. It’s not really up to her to say, ‘Are you mad?’ even if that was what she’s thinking, though I’d dearly love it if she had.
  • Yes, the de-bagged cat, absolutely. But Pip is pretty stupid no matter how many even more stupid residents of Ambridge say otherwise.

Here’s hoping we get a jolly good row or two and soon.

6 Likes

Have just heard the repeat - I seem to be falling asleep at 7pm ATM…

I agree with you both, Janie & Gus - I’m getting absolutely sick of the character changes given to everyone too. The nastiness is unbelievable

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

“All I remember is ‘coming up next, on Front Row’ and the next thing I knew they were talking about film and stuff.”

5 Likes

AmEx by the back door. These are exactly the sort of SLs the first series featured.

3 Likes

I didn’t find Thursday’s episode, the scene with Kate and Nolly that is, quite as satisfying as I’d hoped, I’m not quite sure why.

5 Likes

The lack of an out-of-control combine harvester?

5 Likes

Yes, that would definitely have improved things!

4 Likes

You have the advantage of me there,Joe

I never listened to AmEx

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

It can be Arranged. :fearful:

4 Likes

Bloody 'ell, Dunnock

You’re a long-suffering Birdie…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Well, you have now

3 Likes

Weeps…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Am making Martyr Sauce, as I have quite a collection of tired-looking Martyrs

Quite appropriate in the circumstances, I think…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

I agree. I think it was because we know Katie is made of spring-back rubber and well reshape within minutes as though it never happened.

… oh, & I never listened to AmEx either. Am I depraved ?

4 Likes

Only The Surprising Mrs Shanks can answer that, I suspect, Armers!

5 Likes