What are the Borefeathers for?

Just caught up with last night’s.

As so often, I can’t help wondering why Rex and Toby are in the programme at all. They were introduced purely so SOC could have a Fairbother in attendance for the Ablazing Grace Memorial Old Biddies’ Day Out. Whatever he might have thought/imagined/made up, they are not from “an old Ambridge family”–their grandfather was a relatively short-term blow-in IIRC? They did their bit (Why “their”? One would have sufficed) and should have been shipped out again forthwith. Yet here they still are, for no good reason.

Meanwhile genuinely long-established characters have been silenced or written out. Where was Kathy–who was actually mentioned yesterday–during the whole Rob/Helen saga, or when Tom left Kirsty at the altar? Time was when she might as well have moved into Bridge Farm; it’s ridiculous that when Pat most needed a confidante, she vanished.

Matt’s return could–should–have had much more dramatic potential. At the end of the AmEx St Petersburg nonsense, he abandoned the attempt to recover his money for Lilian’s sake; what if his sudden disappearance had been in order to protect her?

Nigel was killed off, when a far more interesting development would have explored how he coped with disability–not least the issues of accessibility in a listed building.

And we still don’t know the truth about the bunting…

7 Likes

It’s not clear what’s going on with Hedli Niklaus; I heard she was unwell, but no details.

6 Likes

One of them unfortunately did his bit a little too well. Hence bloody ArghArcher.

6 Likes

She still seems very active on FB–and I found this from late 2017, where she certainly doesn’t seem to show any sign of wanting or needing to slow down:

I notice that on the Archers Addicts FB page she was campaigning for Ataxia Awareness Day, as she has a relative who suffers from Friedrich’s ataxia; I wonder if that might have been misreported?

A genuine typo–but I don’t feel inclined to correct it!

4 Likes

That was more to do with the wrong person pulling out at the wrong moment… No problem with the (as yet) pretty well blameless* Rosie, but they should have terminated Pip while she was dithering in the clinic.

*Apart from being an Archer, of course–a sodding Brookfield Archer to boot

5 Likes

That’s quite enough wrong to be going on with

Now you’re talking. cf ‘Belt Sander’

5 Likes

Is it not spelt with an X?

4 Likes

Only on paper.

4 Likes

Xandpaper?

5 Likes

That’ll be the one, joe.