Who needs the bigger slap?

Freddie, for inconveniencing his paternal aunt?
Or his maternal aunt for interfering?
And I would bet that the latter will claim that she did it for Widderbeth, who would of course have been distraught at the idea of Freddie being almost as far away as London.

5 Likes

Pip.

4 Likes

Why didn’t he just ask Shula to start with?! They’ve been spending time together at the stables, and she offered him a job. An entirely pointless episode sadly.

6 Likes

Yes, Kara, I agree. I’d have welcomed Camilla as a new Julia (to my regret I never heard those scenes). But they’d have had to have made the character a lot more subtle. As it was, Camilla used up weeks and weeks of rudeness in one episode and wasn’t even funny. It just left one thinking why didn’t Elizabeth tell her to bog off a lot sooner. Or be a bit less helpful about tracking Freddie down. ‘Sorry, no idea where he is. This is his phone number. You find him.’

I quite enjoyed the TripAdvisor comments, though! And let’s face it, Lizzie is not entirely blameless for the cock-ups at Lower Loxley. If she hadn’t treated Geraldine so shockingly - and that’s nothing to do with depression and all to do with Elizabeth - then I dare say the liquor license would have been restored by now and that seems to be the main problem.

6 Likes

I have just heard the repeat, & it’s no better the second time…

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

If Elizabeth had bothered to ask about getting the licence back, or turned up to apply for it when she was supposed to instead of simply not bothering (which would certainly put the backs up of the people who were meant to be seeing her), she might well have got it back by now: she has taken the word of Kenton, who reported a solicitor to her as saying that they wouldn’t get it back with Freddie living there, whereas what he reported to Lily was that the solicitor had said it would be more difficult to get it back.

If she can’t manage to do it herself, she needs to ask someone reliable (ie under no curcumstances Kenton) to apply for the licence, at the very least; unless they tried to get it back, how would they know whether they could or could not?

5 Likes

Lily will get the license back

5 Likes

I think I’ll let her off that one. She was well into depression by that stage and paralysed by indecision. It can happen. But if she hadn’t been so awful to Geraldine before she, Elizabeth, had deteriorated to the point of not being able to cope at all, then I dare say the good Geraldine might have successfully pushed for the renewal of the licence.

Now there I’m with you. She has depression. That doesn’t mean she can be excused for abandoning all common sense. And even supposing the solicitor was right (which doesn’t sound likely) then what on earth was wrong with the solution of his moving back in with Shula? - which is what they have now arrived at. Lizzie’s desperate clinging onto Freddie is self-indulgent and not in either Freddie’s or Lower Loxley’s interests. As usual it is all about Elizabeth, hence her going round telling everyone she has depression. As awful as Camilla was, she was at least the only person not to react as if Elizabeth has one more reason to be tip-toed around.

It’s Helen and anorexia all over again. The malady is genuine, we have to accept that. The sufferer nevertheless seizes the opportunity to use it to her advantage. Lizzie’s a bit more subtle than Helen, but they both use their issues as weapons.

6 Likes

Oh, spewk.

5 Likes

One of the things one has to do is learn to say “hey, I can’t do this right now any more than I could run a mile with a broken leg, someone else take over”.

4 Likes

Rather difficult with an ego like Lizzie’s. Note how she referred to herself as SuperMum (I forget to whom she said that) as well as having to be ‘father and mother’ to Lily and Freddie.

Though now she’s bitten the bullet and got help in the form of Glen, Russ, Lily, drugs and therapy, she can play the fragile role for all it is worth without having to do anything very much around Lower Loxley. And tell people she feels ‘guilty’ about that so they can contradict her.

Incidentally, where does this new found love of Lower Loxley on Freddie’s part come from? We never heard much about that before. Though to be fair, I suppose Her Majesty’s Youth Offender digs put things in perspective.

5 Likes

I guess he couldn’t help but feel guilty if his family lost their home because of his stupidity. I think moving into the stables is an excellent decision, the only time he sounds like he knows what he’s doing is when he’s around the horses. But that’s Elizabeth’s fault, she brings out the whining child in him.

6 Likes

Yes, insisting he stay at Lower Loxley and not telling Freddie the (possible) effect it would have on the license was Elizabeth being all about Elizabeth, loudly declaiming she didn’t care if Lower Loxley went under as long as she could clutch her precious son to her bosom.

Quite sensible of Freddie to go to Auntie Shula where he can shovel manure and - he’s supposed to be a good rider - exercise the livery horses.

P.S. It would be largely Elizabeth’s stupidity if the Lower Loxley business failed. If she had either been competent herself or not driven the competent manager away then I feel sure they could have overcome the licensing problem by now, nor would the Halloween fiasco have happened.

7 Likes

It would equally be the fault of the trustees, who must surely be aware of the state of LoLo’s finances. (If they aren’t, they’re even more culpable.)

5 Likes

Absolutely! They should have taken action six months ago at least.

5 Likes

Yes I keep forgetting about the trustees.

5 Likes

So do they, apparently.

5 Likes

How often would they review the accounts?

5 Likes

At the very least, annually; they’d have to sign off on the accounts for each tax year.

Since the information is available—Kenton was able to get it, after all—the trustees would surely have been informed of the parlous state of LoLo’s finances; it’s the sort of thing EGMs are designed for. At the very least, they should be appointing an interim manager while Elizabeth takes indefinite sick leave.

4 Likes

What I don’t understand is that they had a manager, Geraldine, and Elizabeth also worked. Now they have a manager, Glen, and Elizabeth - ‘I feel so guilty’ - is not working yet no one has replaced her. It makes me wonder what it was that she did before, a bit like Helen taking maternity leave and no one noticing.

To be fair we did hear a fair amount of Elizabeth schmoozing the clients.

5 Likes