Words which might be better used

One which is not unique to you, which might possibly be a slightly comforting thought.

3 Likes

Well, ish. Except that if it means people who care are suffering it, that seems like something I would not wish on them.

2 Likes

The BBC are a rich source of malapropism and incoherence.

For instance
"The puppy, which was left on the doorstep at the Dower House as a mischievous birthday present for Lilian from Matt, has far from cause trouble between Lilian and Justin."

That’s from Hannah Ratcliffe, Assistant Producer of The Archers, at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/f02b8a18-e284-48ad-bea6-203818c4f7c2

1 Like

I can recommend you another, too

3 Likes

Ahem - “The BBC is…”, shurely?

2 Likes

All three initials are, Joe. (grin)

You are of course right, and what I originally meant to write was “people at the BBC”, only I got distracted by having to go and collect the quote and the woman’s name.

2 Likes

Reviving this after reading a flurry of semi-literate posts elsewhere, with pretty well every other writer substituting “loose” for “lose”. It seems to be a particularly American trait. I dread the possibility of a certain Twitter-obsessed person demanding that North Korea “loose their nukes”…

3 Likes

What baffles me is the number of people who write ‘defiantly’ when they mean ‘definitely’. I mean, it’s not even phonetically similar. Thickos the lot of them.

4 Likes

Maybe they meant to write “definately”? [sic]

3 Likes

They really could make the effort to get their spelling errors right. Double stupid.

4 Likes

It’s not that hard when you get every spelling mistake underlined in red like wot I do.

3 Likes

Yeah, but also every word like pleonastic or spathic or sesquipedalian that the machine doesn’t know.

4 Likes

I tend to know those if I use them. It’s words liek teh and threr that I get wrong.

3 Likes

Nooks Shirley?

4 Likes

Of coarse.

4 Likes

I find this phenomena hones in to irritate me everyday, these days. But their you are. The internet is a thought experiment along ‘infinite number of monkeys’ lines.

3 Likes

From the comments on a Grauniad article about Brexit and the return of blue passports:

People are aloud to be proud to be Scottish or Welsh or Irish. So yes I’m proud to be English. I won’t apologise for that and never will.

Wouldn’t someone so proud of their Englishness make an effort to learn the language?

4 Likes

Ya’d think, wouldn’t you?

3 Likes

Here’s something that might interest the offender http://play.bbc.co.uk/play/pen/gj7rr87htv

2 Likes