Wot a load of rubbish

I feel like gathering outside Brum BBC and hurling empty beer cans at the TA office, whilst chanting Wot a load of Rubbish after tonight’s episode

I love the weird notion of a daughter who had lived all her life in South Africa, without a trace of Cape or Jo-burg accents. What’s the chances of that, hey?

5 Likes

Small, I should think.

I thought Kate had been quite cunning, asking for the praise first so she could ignore the things wrong with her.

And it wasn’t actually her birthday at all, it was Alice’s, so having a go at Alice was well out of order.

3 Likes

I thought tonight’s episode was like a fill-in they had some extra script left over and somebody tried to Blu-Tack it together. What a waste of time.

I really would have liked to hear Alice’s opinion of her sister.

3 Likes

Yes. And Phoebe’s. And Noluthando’s.

3 Likes

We all knew it was happening - the great JD surprise - but does anyone think it was actually a good idea? Nollywotsit doesn’t sound too thrilled about being there, and it reduces her to some kind of commodity. Well, I suppose Kate’s brats have always been that.

4 Likes

I live in the hope that she will tell Kate what she really thinks of her, and only didn’t do so this evening because her manners are good enough for her not to have a row at a party (unlike her mother’s, which are not).

4 Likes

Agreed. They seem to be giving Justin Rob’s unused dialogue. (Very economical, given that a lot of it was originally written for Paul)

4 Likes

I’m sick of Justin and of Matt. They should both leave TA and do a Christmas pantomime act as the Two Pillocks.

What I want to hear more about is the Herbal Lay of Ambridge - or Kate as she’s known.

5 Likes

It seemed superfluous to start a new thread. What a load of festering tosh that was. The subtle and nuanced writing was remarkable

by its complete absence.
Sense - or even plausibility - was also mixed in most sparingly.

Why would Lilian let on to Adam?
If Pip wants to keep things lowish key, why would she be parading toby round Lower Loxley?
If Modom and Begorrah can’t be arsed to go to Bristol, why would Ms Rent-a-Womb bother stirring an inch?

And the woodenness (woodeness? either looks wrong) of Adam’s ‘Shun Matt!’ dialogue would make a bunch of starving woodworm very happy and fat for many years.

Strewth.

4 Likes

Among the many improbable things was Pip thinking Rex would be devastated to find Pip and Toby laughing together (not even snogging). Is Rex so absolutely devastated at the news of the death of a woman he has never met? Now there’s empathy!

Unless the vain little madam thinks Rex is still pining for her and will be broken-hearted that she and Toby are back together.

4 Likes

Probably the latter.

I hadn’t thought that it was possible to dislike Lily more than I already did, but I think I now do. I just hope that Elizabeth, unaware that her loathsome daughter has given the rat a key and under the impression that Toby is a burglar, shoots him dead in the half-light one very early morning.

4 Likes

Plus, how does having a key not make the alarm go off? Did she give him he combination of that as well? I do hope Elizabeth does not know about this and tears the officious little madam off a strip.

4 Likes

Seems to me that Lily is seriously getting off on her cousin getting some, especially under ‘her’ roof (roof/ceiling. Not Ruth in case you wondered).

I’m wondering if she has a little camera hidden away … or maybe she’ll fancy joining them.

Damn the watershed.

3 Likes

So the actor who was Paul pulled out of TA without warning?
Thats going back some
Can anyone tell me?

4 Likes

Not the actor - the SL was aborted. We were told that Anita Dobson, who played Celia, was contracted for six episodes1 but only appeared in five. There was a scene where she bumped into first Lilian then Matt, but it was never followed up. I suspect the original plan was for a showdown at Paul’s funeral, but instead they decided to use it as a hook to get people to listen to AmEx.

When Rob’s character was rewritten on SOC’s orders, it was noticeable that his manner - particularly the peremptory summoning of Helen over the phone - was identical to Paul’s last appearances. There was a distinct sense of unused scripts being dusted off.

1http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2289413/RICHARD-KAY-Look-Angies-Ambridge-stir-The-Archers.html

3 Likes