Yeah, so of **course** Robin Fairbrother

had the family christening gown lying about ready to his hand, and furthermore it fitted eight-month-old Rosie perfectly.

In a pig’s eye.

6 Likes

It’s like the quern that grinds out whatever you want, but it only grinds out what the scripties want.

4 Likes

I didn’t believe it either. Not sure which is more ridiculous, that or Peggy firing Emma, saying Kate will do the cleaning from now on.

5 Likes

The thing will quite likey be walking in a matter of weeks, after all

5 Likes

It already speaks better than Henry.

6 Likes

I have made many a Christening Gown in my time, including 4 for Austrian babies. They tend not to travel in their gowns , as there is a specific part of the service when it is put on them, or at least draped over them*. I always leave the back open, & provide loose ties, so that they can be dressed over their Festive GroBags

It works a treat

*In many churches there , there is a white Christening Gown laid on the altar, so that those who don’t have Fambly Robes can still have the use of a ‘proper’ gown. One I made is kept at a church up the road, as the ‘loan gown’ was yellowed & nasty.

The Nottingham Lace gown I made for for the Sexy Strasse Babies has been used in Lisbon & Austria

I agree with you, Fishy

That gown would not have fitted Rosie

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Nothing anyone has said, but am musing on the logistics of introducing young piranhas (or microsharks) to fonts.
Anyone with information/experience, please advise.

OK, I concede it could be a waste of seamstressry in very rare instances. But let us not be deterred by mere sentiment when so much is at stake.

4 Likes

Well, That Fish would be the expert. I can tell you that Satanic Piranha don’t do well in Holy Water.

If they’re well enough trained, they ought to be able to eat round the gown…

4 Likes

They carved out territory with the moths, years back.

3 Likes

I have a feeling that in most CofE churches there is no water kept in the font; instead, it is blessed in a bucket (all right, a ewer or to you and me a jug) and poured in for the ceremony, then allowed to drain out into the earth.

When my granddaughter was baptised aboard ship, the water from the font (which was not usually a font, nor kept on the aircraft deck, but was the ship’s bell) was thrown into the harbour afterwards.

So piranha wouldn’t live very long in a font. You would have to insert them during the service. Then they could take the vicar’s hand off, though they wouldn’t get a decent chance at the baby, which is held out of the way and sloshed rather than immersed.

4 Likes

Well, once the hand’s off the baby-holding will become markedly less effective.

We do need to consider the piranha’s escape route.

4 Likes

A water-slide into a bath on a skateboard?

4 Likes

Words to live by, I feel.

Umph. Meant to say, them piranha is quick, so don’t entirely despair

3 Likes

A bit of tactical distraction wouldn’t go amiss. Wait till the spawn is over the font, then set off some car alarms or summat.

(I know a way of setting off lots of car alarms at once. Teeheehee.)

3 Likes

Quite a substantial meal in the present case.

Have we wandered into an episode of Last of the Summer Wine?

3 Likes

I never saw it, so probably not.

3 Likes

If you’re going to have fish rampaging through a church, surely they need to come out of a gargoyle at some point?

4 Likes

Lurking in a tank at the top of the tower and paragliding into the font at the critical moment via the gargoyle?

4 Likes

If there’s a legitimate question over whether it’s an act of terrorism or a performance art piece, I reckon you’ve got it just about right.

4 Likes