So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Poor little sod; well done that doc.

Standing ON the laid table? Oh, I wish I’d known that a few years ago. Might have put Himself’s conniptions at finding cat on table up to its whiskers in the parmesan into perspective.

5 Likes

A bit feak and weeble this evening, but tomorrow if you are interested I will send you the recipe for a lamb, pea and potato tagine which is very simply spiced - ginger and saffron - and rather gorgeous.

4 Likes

And I can always miss out the peas…

3 Likes

oh gawds. Sorry. I forgot. Scrub that.

4 Likes

Could it be made without them?

3 Likes

Oh it could, but it wouldn’t be the thing I was recommending. But when I go to bed I shall consult Claudia Roden (Arabesque).
You don’t do
chilli
pulses
legumes

How are you with pears? Because there is a rather fine lamb & pear & lots of baby onions tagine too. But it is more of a faff than the other one because of the baby onion dimension.

4 Likes

Pears are fine, only when they are raw they have such a limited nice-life, going from rocks to mush in what seems like minutes.

3 Likes

Incidentally, I think pulses are legumes; I mean, pulses are the seeds (and the proteinous bit) of legumes. But legumes are not necessarily pulses: I can and do eat bean-sprouts; the protein changes when they sprout, or something.

But I bet you didn’t know that both peanuts and liquorice are pulses! Peanuts didn’t surprise me; liquorice did. And peanuts being part of it is downright useful: people don’t assume the whole thing is nonsense or faddery when I mention that they are involved, because everyone knows that peanut allergy can kill.

4 Likes

So where’s everybody gone? Not even a ruddy Yardarm today.

Yardarm!

4 Likes

Don’t know about anyone else, but I have been out. Trying unsuccessfully to find someone who wants two rather good sleeping bags for which I have decided that I no longer have any use, since I don’t intend ever to go to a festival again…

3 Likes

I have been hair washing and taking advantage of 10 minute’s sun…

3 Likes

FreeCycle may be your only hope, FantaFish

See recent Posts about duvets - no Charity shop wants them unless they are new &unused

Sighs& Liberates Pitcher

It has rained all night & is still raining, so the outdoor temperature has dropped from 19deg yesterday to 11.5 today

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

I am hoping it may rain enough here for me not to have to top up the fish-tank, which is down about six inches after the recent dry spell. But I know really that it won’t.

4 Likes

There’d be a new flude if that were the case.

Rivers running backwards, inept managers nearly drowning until saved by evil doers, old ladies passing, dogs disappearing.

It’d be Armageddon.

5 Likes

I’ve been packing - off on holiday, tomorrow.
Having been alerted to the risk that midges abound in Iceland, I rushed to pack my arsenal of weaponry against these little blighters. Decided that I was being neurotic and unpacked said arsenal. It’s now been re-packed, as it ‘won’t eat anything’. And I’d prefer not to be eaten. DD’s best friend visited, yesterday, forra cuppa. She recently relocated to Edinburgh and is a keen and competent walker and hill climber. She will be in Glencoe on Saturday/Sunday and I surprised her with just how numerous the bitey barstewards are, up there. She left us, armed with ant-midge spray, hair and body wash, anti-histamines and an anti midge jacket. This is a very useful site: https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Soo xx

4 Likes

Bon voyage.
Death to The Midge!

3 Likes

I kill them on sight, Gus. The only creature to which I show no clemency. I am so glad that DD’s friend showed up when she did, as she’ll be better prepared. For those who don’t already know, I use Incognito spray, hair and body wash and it is amazingly effective. I don’t have shares in the company, but happily dole out these products to my beloved ones when I think they are at risk. DD and another friend used this stuff while in South America - the others in their cohort used Deet (ghastly stuff). DD and friend were the only ones not bitten.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Brilliant. Have a great time. Kill many midges.

(Auto spell initially wrote “kill many midgets”, maybe you ought not do that)

6 Likes

Muffled Snork, Armitage…

The wretched things feast on me, Soo , & then the bites turn nasty

My Austrian friends say that it is because I smell nice…

Mind you, an Horse Fly bite went from a normal bite, to dinner plate size in 20 minutes

Nasty things

My Wasp Toaster will be deployed…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

There is some rather nasty-smelling but DEET-free Swedish stuff called Nordic Summer which costs about £13 for 30g and which seemed to work last year. Since we are going to more-or-less the Arctic Circle again this summer, but this time in August instead of June, I am rather relying on it.

http://forestskillsltd.co.uk/tag/wilmas-nordic-summer-insect-repellent/ It seems to be mostly made of birch-tar oil, and it looks like a tiny ornamental tin of shoe-polish, being roughly the same proportions as old-fashioned Kiwi or Cherry Blossom. If other things are not working, it might well be available in Iceland.

4 Likes