A Gig?

…well, perhaps it’s the noo-vernacular, but in my (limited) experience as a musician (flute, double-bass) when I said I was going to or had a “gig”, it usually meant that I was going to perform at a concert or was intending to play at a “gig”, whereas if I was going to a concert, I would say I’m going to a concert to see and hear Dr. Feelgood, or The Academy of Ancient Music or whomever. So I don’t quite understand exactly why TheDopeys would use such awkward (to me) sentences. Sounds like something from the StympletonTrypewryter yet again!!!

5 Likes

Think it’s been used for the performance generally for some time, but you’re right—it used be the musos’ term for a (paid) session.

The various terms for unpaid gigs are generally unrepeatable.

5 Likes

…thanks for the enlightenment! (…we call the unpaid-gigs “freebies” :thinking: (…Twaycee!!!))

5 Likes

When I were a hatchling, “gig” had the related meaning of a one-off engagement rather than a regular thing. I think that’s been lost too.

6 Likes

Has it? I’m not so sure. Isn’t that meaning inherent in ‘the gig economy’ < spittity >- short-term contracts/irregular engagements as opposed to settled hours of work?

6 Likes

True; but when I hear people talking about going to club nights and such, it’s still a “gig”.

4 Likes

Dere Sparrer, when I were a hatchling o.n.o., a gig was a one-horse chaise…

6 Likes

When I were a nipper (…nearly 3 score and 10 years ago!) our old Dad used to sing this song to me and my 3 sisters! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsey_Horsey (…shades of OldJoeGrundgie & Bartleby) - ah! them’s were the days!

6 Likes