Abort! Abort!

But I don’t think a miscarriage would give the game away about the extent of her drinking, it could have happened anyway, and I think the SWs intend an outcome that will make that very clear to all concerned. As Hedgers said…

What I fail to understand is how she’s gone from ‘I don’t want a baby (yet?) and I don’t want to be pregnant’ to ‘oh Kwis, I might have hurt our baby’, seemingly overnight.

6 Likes

I am fairly sure they would be equally queasy about JIC(ase) TOPs, so I fear it will turn out to be the woman being terrified and feeling guilty and being Utterly Miserable and Castigated a bit too but, by a Miracle, all will be well with the Babe and Alice will become a Pillar of the Sally Army.

Although tonight she was sounding a bit more baybee-friendly, so a Punitive Miscarriage might happen. I hope not, though. Too easy all round - and Kirsty would be Sisterly.
Shoot me now, please.

5 Likes

Didn’t get that part!

6 Likes

Yes, quite. She’s asking for reassurance when of course Chris doesn’t have the facts. He kept telling the midwife how little they both had been drinking for the last couple of months. Little does he know!

I would like to think that a person in Alice’s position would be given an honest answer if she reported just how much she had been drinking and when and asked what is the likelihood she has damaged the foetus and not be fobbed off with ‘stop drinking now’ when it might already be too late. But it would require some honesty on her part as well as the midwife or doctor’s. And the midwife just seems to want to quote from pamphlets.

5 Likes

JIT - just in time (manufacturing supply chain logistics). So, just in case.
TOP - termination of pregnancy (medical or surgical), abortion strictly meaning only the expulsion of a non-viable foetus for whatever cause.

4 Likes

That person, absent the evidence that Alice’s collapse and blood tests should provide, would probably be regarded as wanting an ‘excuse’ to terminate rather than taking full responsibility for her decision and be made to jump through all kinds of counselling hoops.

6 Likes

But the orthodoxy is that everyone should stop drinking now. Like those stories that always turn out to be about Jesus.

And if she didn’t, the shop would. (I think it was Wal-Mart that started sending adverts for baby clothes a few months after someone stopped buying pregnancy test kits, but that was too creepy even for American consumers.)

4 Likes

Or alternatively of Salt, of course ;- )

4 Likes

The first suit for wounded feelings from an early menopause litigant would have made 'em think a bit. Class action from a load of unpredictably hormonal, possibly still slightly photogenic when not gnawing the photographer’s leg off for a wrong angle shot, females? Not good for the bottom line.
g r i n

4 Likes

20 odd years ago, an Austrian friend ovva friend became pregnant. I think that her Dr/Obstetrician at the time was remarkably reasonable. She was allowed 2 white wine Spritzers, if she felt like them, & up to 5 cigarettes per day.

His reasoning was that, if she suddenly stopped her ‘normal’ routine, then the stress associated with it, would have a negative effect on the baby.

This worked very well, prolly because she didn’t drink spirits, & Mumsnet wasn’t around…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Half a pint of stout a day used to be prescribed for pregnant women to help with their iron intake.

5 Likes