Accommodation address

It’s really very easy (and legal and cheap) to get a flashy address as “your corporate headquarters”. (It’ll be shared with a bunch of other companies.)

It’s pretty easy, though more expensive, and still legal, to get a time-share of a receptionist who’ll say “Mr X is not here today” if people show up in person, and forward calls to the office number to your mobile.

Having a fake brochure and a ratty post-office box (in Regent Street? Really?) implies not crookedness but stupidity.

4 Likes

Quaite. Further west by a spit or two would be a far more suitable address. And sorry, but this level of shoddiness (I mean in the business set-up, although you would be forgiven for thinking I had something else in mind) doesn’t sit easily with the original presentation of Melling & associates, and Catwater Lafite and so on (oh, maybe I did have something else in mind, i.e. SWs’ inability to string together a story that a five-year-old couldn’t pick to bits after all; now there’s a surprise).

Gah.

Gx

4 Likes

I don’t even believe there are any ratty post-boxes in Regent Street.

4 Likes

The ratty bits used to be round the back in Carnaby Street and the little warren behind Liberty’s, when the Pa had his office in Regent Street…

Has central London come down in the world rather than going up, or something?

3 Likes

Thirty years ago there were some fairly scratty businesses being conducted from above relatively smart downstair retail premises, but now? Nah. Or at least nothing looking as dodgy from the outside as whatever it was that the fool Bellamy steered himself to. We have to assume, I suppose, that he found his way to the right place? Asks a lot of the poor old listener, that does, but on balance I think that was their intention.

3 Likes

It is I suppose possible that one of the editorial team, on a visit to London, found such a place when they were going down Regent Street from Broadcasting House looking for – well, for whatever they thought is in and off Piccadilly Circus these days, I suppose.

3 Likes

A decent Chinese, perhaps? Gus asked innocently. :baby_chick:
oh dear oh lor’ it is all terribly terribly silly. And annoying. Mind you, the list of things that I do not currently find annoying isn’t excessively lengthy.

4 Likes

You think they’d bother checking? Unintentional SW ignorance is less likely than contempt for the listeners. The assumption is that The Right Sort Of Listener will accept any nonsense, whether it flatly contradicts TA’s own established history or would be utterly impossible in RL.

2 Likes

The scriptwriter this week is Sue Teddern. Last week was Gillian Richmond. The week before was Naylah Ahmed. Next week is Mary Cutler, but the week after that is Liz John. None of them except Cutler has been writing for TA consistently for more than about two years:
Teddern: two episodes, week of 9th July and of 5th November
Richmond: eight episodes starting at the end of 2015, with two this year
Ahmed: two episodes, week of 13th August and of 22nd October
John: three episodes, week of 2nd April, of 6th August, of 10th September and of 19th November

So O’Connor played merry hell with the cast by trying to get Names into it, and Kinnair-Jones has done the same thing with the writing team. Having won awards elsewhere is not the thing needed for an Archer scriptwriter: knowing and caring about the programme is the requirement.

2 Likes