Another Christmas Special?

I presume we’ll be treated to the LoLo event? No problem if it were simply John Rowe reading Benson, Lovecraft, LeFanu et al., but not as Jim. Last year’s Canterbury Tales actually worked well, on the whole, because it was done as a straightforward R4 dramatization. Where it didn’t work was The Miller’s Tale, because it was narrated by Eddie, not Trevor Harrison. It came across as trying too hard to play the “amateur”.

6 Likes

But if it’s Jimus in the attic he will be over rehearsed and I think he would scare the childer beautifully while being unable to tolerate the little beasts

Gawds help any child getting close enough to put sticky mince pie fingers on Jimus or a book

7 Likes

… &, amongst the wide & varied failings of yer professional actorrrrr*, is their inability to step down to that level.

Thankfully, on’t wireless, you don’t have to see to vastly over complex clothing they always find themselves in when doing thus on the box.

(* even shite ones).

7 Likes

So far, I’ve managed to steer well-clear of that one, having neither the balls nor the baccy¹ to give me the strength to endure what can only be more scrapings piled higher and deeper!
…but from what you’re saying, should I risk my newly-glazed winders by listening to last year’s Canterbury Tales?

¹ see upthread

4 Likes

I thought it was pretty good, actually. Just skip the tagged-on TA bits and it’s a decent R4 adaptation. Shame about The Miller’s Tale, though…

5 Likes

There are some exceptions…

5 Likes

Not so sure Joe. That is a tremendously over the top example but not something yer average amateur could do.

7 Likes

Fair point. I suspect he he drew on his experience teaching at RADA (“This is how not to do it…”)

6 Likes

A good tip in Blowing the Bloody Doors Off: “You’re giving me a sober man pretending to be drunk. I want to see a drunk man pretending to be sober.”

6 Likes

[quote=“HedgeSparrow, post:9, topic:2385”]
You’re giving me a sober man pretending to be drunk. I want to see a drunk man pretending to be sober.”
[/quote]…well, here is a sober man, pretending to be a drunk man pretending to be sober.

4 Likes

Hate to say “I told you so”, but…

5 Likes

…Gawd help us all! :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

If he is allowed to be John Rowe it will be terrific, because he is a seriously good reader of stories.

If he has to pretend to be Jim Lloyd and there are kiddies involved it will be shite.

6 Likes

Have we reason to fear there might be?

3 Likes

No cast list, but

“Jim Lloyd enthrals an assembly of Ambridge residents”

suggests that there might at the very least be some rhubarbing going on.

4 Likes

That reminds me. The scene set at the soft play centre was devoid of the shrieks, squeals and wailing which render it impossible to hear oneself think in such places.
They aren’t even pretending to try any more.

6 Likes

And the noise of the bloody kids

6 Likes

Just a dab of halothane pumped into the ventilation system…

6 Likes