Another lost PostIt?

Just caught up with the rest of last night’s offal offering. (“Why?”, I hear you ask) and my first reaction was to agree with Tony; it’s the will SL recycled.

But then I remembered the details of that SL. This is a complete U-turn; Peggy has never supported anything to do with environmentalism or sustainability—as she took great pleasure in pointing out to Tony. Quite the contrary—she was totally behind Brian’s profit before all philosophy.

6 Likes

Just so.

The actor, on the other hand, for whom this storyline was apparently a birthday present, has supported environmental causes for years.

6 Likes

Did they let her write her own speech then? If so, she’s a good actress but a rubbish speechwriter.

5 Likes

This seems like a poor justification for a major personality change. She’ll be being pleasant because her voice is by all accounts a pleasant person, next.

5 Likes

I don’t think she would have written her own speech; people who are into that sort of thing have a better idea what needs to be said.

5 Likes

Some birthday present!

“As a tribute to how well you’ve portrayed Peggy over (most of) TA’s run, we’ve decided to completely rewrite her character.”

5 Likes

I’m sure she has a fair idea of what needs to be said the the SWs, too—but is too polite to say it.

5 Likes

True, so just written by a rubbish SW then.

5 Likes

Naylah Ahmed.

5 Likes

Nayla Ahmed this week. I seem to remember her name being being connected with a few other out-of character errors in the past. (Was she responsible for Shula’s “scumbag” comment?)

ETA

She wasn’t - that was Liz Johns. Her track record has never been great.

5 Likes

One of the worst scripts I’ve ever heard on TA. There have been many awful SLs but this epi was on a different level imo - I just sat there thoughout thinking ‘I don’t believe a single word of this’.

5 Likes

For one thing, I don’t believe for a minute that Peggy would have resorted to that rallying cry of performative wokeness, ‘the right side of history’ (no love, you’re the wrong side of ninety).
There was another glaringly out-of-register expression put in her mouth too, but I cannot at present remember it.
LA? Not Pygmalion Likely.

3 Likes

That would indeed be out of character, I agree. Unless Kate’s been up to her tricks again?

4 Likes

Sorry, corrected in original post as you were posting. Spoilsport, me

4 Likes

Yeah, but I caught it inna quote first , so ner!

(What was I saying about an inner schoolchild elsethread…)

4 Likes

I am not impressed by the work of Liz John, or of Gillian Richmond, or of Naylah Ahmed, or of Sue Teddern.

Sean O’Connor got rid of female writers for TA at the start of his tenure; the replacements hastily drafted in haven’t been much of a success as far as I am concerned.

Carolyn Sally Jones: last episode on 31/1/2014
Carole Simpson Solazzo: last episode on 21/2/2014
Nawal Gadalla: last episode on 14/3/2014

There have also been Sarah McDonald Hughes, and Amanda Whittington, this year and last (two weeks each so far) and I have not yet formed an opinion of either of them.

To even up the balance of sexes, Nick Warburton is new this year, I think.

5 Likes

You are ALL ‘the wrong sort of listener’.

We should be grateful to have these writers. We are very fortunate.

As you were.

5 Likes

I tend to feel that if I recognise the name of a new writer or actor for TA, the chances are they won’t be as good as someone for whom TA is important because it is what they have got, and who therefore works his or her socks off for the programme.

Some of the actors are notable exceptions: David Troughton is good. (His son not so much so). Kim Durham was good. um…

5 Likes

William Troughton is actually a fine actor. Unfortunately, because he was shoehorned into TA for apparently no other reason than SOC getting a few tabloid headlines about a father and son being played by a father and son, he seems to be trying to play the role as Tom Graham did (thereby making a mockery of the decision to recast). Instead of “William Troughton as Tom Archer”, we’re getting “William Troughton’s Impression of Tom Graham as Tom Archer”. Small wonder the actual acting suffers.

5 Likes

I see what you mean joe but, as you said recently, Emerald O’Hanrahan managed to sound like the ‘old’ Emma right from the moment she took over, while still making a brilliant job of acting the part. And I don’t believe she was a ‘name’ at the time?

5 Likes