Anyone else curious about the seized drive shaft?

Could there be a length of fencing wire caught up in it?

4 Likes

I wondered that, but I think it might be an egg too far in the pudding, even for The Archers.

2 Likes

That would be utter blissikins, Joe.

Pip is working awfully hard to ruin the farm. Let’s see, she waltzed in and demanded a job and got it, caused the waste of several thousand pounds by letting Matthew go, got an extra salary put on the payroll and caused the loss of income from Rickyard. She has taken probably interest-free loans off her hapless parents so that she can pursue her own projects - and get this - off the farm! She has moved her boyfriend in purely to spite her grandmother and without consulting the owners of the cottage and now she’s broken the tractor!

Of course, it doesn’t need to be pointed out that the Dopeys allowed, nay, encouraged her in all these things except perhaps having Toby move in.

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering who’s responsible for the maintenance. Tractors don’t get by on an annual service.

4 Likes

They aren’t called the Dopeys for nothing, Janie, as has been said before. Although the herbal leys grazing did seem to be about as win-win as things get.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of that Marjorie, but yes, running out of oil is a bit of an egregious error, isn’t it? I bet Dopey takes the blame for that, too. If he does, will it cause Pip finally to crumble? All of this wind-up then anti-climax is a bit annoying but I comfort myself with the fact that Pip is clearly suffering. And all of her family fussing over her and worrying that she’s so upset is just making it worse for her. Every cloud, you know …

1 Like

Win-win for Pip, do you mean? Did the Dopeys benefit at all from the herbal leys? It meant Pip spent less time on the farm so we might consider that a benefit but they don’t think that way. Surely it meant the exploitative little besom was doing less milk’n and hosing down the parlour and other unpopular chores. Wasn’t poor old Tony always scraping the yard? Let her do that!

1 Like

Something has to happen to bring on the big reveal, though, and a suggestion that there was unreported damage to a fence would open a very large can of worms…

2 Likes

There is a faint prospect that she will be that which needs scraping off the yard, along with the usual, when all is finally revealed.
Re the being on another farm business, though, wasn’t that a tacit acknowledgement that she didn’t have a full role at Brookfield?

2 Likes

Oh, was there? I had been assuming she was paid for full time work even if not at a very high rate. If she’s only employed part time, does that make them ever so slightly less dopey for letting her stay when she gave up the Brazil (or High Wycombe) job?

3 Likes

With her tongue

2 Likes

Ever so slightly less dopey? Not the way they did it, no. - paying a third party not to do anything at all
We don’t actually know on what basis she is on the Brookfield payroll. We do know they said there wasn’t a full-time role for her, and we do know that they thought managing the herbal ley grazing was a good plan, which if there isn’t, then it was, iyswim.

3 Likes

Why would Tony be scraping down David’s yard?

These are the questions we should be asking…

2 Likes

A euphemism, I believe. For “scrape” read “napalm”.

2 Likes

Now you’re talkin’!

That’s what we need more of in TA. Napalm.

2 Likes

Especially in the morning?

2 Likes

I didn’t meant that as you very well know! Brookers must have a yard that needs scraping, surely. Now I come to think of it, we always used to hear Tony doing it at Bridge Farm (when he wasn’t pulling up leeks) when they had the dairy cows but did we ever hear of it happening at Brookfield?

Back to the OP, wouldn’t it be lovely if the tractor breakdown was Pip’s fault too? At least partly, at any rate. The Dopeys are pretty much all, bar Ben and Jill, implicated in the IBR mess. You could say that whoever drives the tractor, which probably means the same gang of four, David, Ruth, Pip and possibly Josh if he ever can be persuaded to do some work on the farm, are also jointly responsible for the tractor breakdown.

It does make a good story when there’s plenty of blame to spread around. If you like shouty rows, that is. Which I do, quite, on an occasional basis. Especially when there’s comeuppance involved.

4 Likes

As well as her being responsible for the tractor break-down. I’d be happy to have it turn out that the great Ambridge flood was due to Pip leaving the tap running at Rickyard Cottage, if it increased our chances of getting rid of her.

But in the meantime… I think as a punishment for breaking the tractor. She should be sentenced to between three and six months.
In a newly constructed pillory, in the middle of the village green.
And! David and Ruth, should have to pay for the rotten eggs and fruit thrown at her.

3 Likes

Yes. Unsold organic rottenness, of course. A shot in the arm for Pony and Tat.

1 Like