B&B guests arriving

…on the Tuesday evening after a bank holiday. In what universe?

3 Likes

Borsetshire. Maybe it is a pair of parents exhausted after the May Day Festivities.

2 Likes

I suppose one might choose to have some days away just after a bank holiday, if one had the option. Little traffic, plenty of rooms available, and so on.

3 Likes

High Falutin’ Towers -v- Clarrieluv’s
Vegan breakfast -v- poached pheasant eggs

1 Like

Why bother?

2 Likes

Vegan Guiness, Joe?

I must admit I had not realised they were still using isinglas; so last century, really.

2 Likes

There are vegan alternatives to isinglass, but as I understand it none of them really works as well yet.

300-thread-count sheets -v- more darn than sheet

2 Likes

The small-brewery craft beers mostly seem not to use isinglas, or else they lie when they say their beer is vegan.

1 Like

:scream:

From our local Carlow Brewing Company:

Company email (November 2015):
“Currently the beers we produce are vegan friendly however there will be some old stock on the shelves in the country which may contain Isinglass. These will obviously be eradicated over time but as the bottles have an 18 month shelf life we have to state this.”

Their O’Hara’s stout is excellent! It used to be available from Ocado but seems to have been delisted; I suspect the reason might be that they now supply M&S own-brand Irish Stout, and there’s an exclusivity clause. Haven’t tried it, but if it’s like the stuff they sell here, I’d definitely recommend it. Anyone care to do a bit of research? For comparison, O’Hara’s is much drier and hoppier than Guinness; it’s what I remember Guinness used to be like, before it got bland and corporate.

2 Likes

Oh happy days. Real bottled Guinness, brewed at St James’s Gate, bottled by one of several companies “who bottle no other stout or porter” on the label, brown-topped bottle not Park Royal green (inferior product). A packet of Sweet Afton and a box of Irish Bluebell matches. Your carry-out waiting for you when you left McDaid’s pub just off Grafton Street, four bottles of stout wrapped in broŵn paper and string with a carrying loop…or Byrne’s up the road with oysters and soda bread…or the musicians in Toner’s…or the Saracen’s Head near Kingsbridge Station (as was) with a big table and settles round it… Dance at Palmerston RFC on Saturdays and Old Belvedere RFC on Sundays… Free tours of the Guinness brewery with a free drink at the end of them… Country girls shocked by bold city girls going into pubs… the awful threat of the Magdalene laundries awaiting lower middle class and working class Catholic girls… not so happy for some but girls still flooded down at the weekend from Belfast…

3 Likes