Clunk, clunk

"If two people aren’t right together*… blah, blah, blah.

Aren’t we lucky to have that spelled out for us, we pun’as not being clever enough to spot the oh-so-subtle hints over the last few weeks.

**Or individually, in this instance

5 Likes

I do hope that the now-departed Huw Hyphen was of the breed who go in for not-so-sweetness-and-light stories. Otherwise I fear we are in for Pip having a sweet little baby (aaaaaah) and Lilian and Justin getting married (aaaaaaaaaah).

4 Likes

Bucket

5 Likes

yeah, I said something that sounded rather like that, too.

5 Likes

I’ve been carrying one around with me all day, after frowing up twice this morning

I was Bluddy clutching it whilst TA was on this evening…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Did I hear right that when Toby offered to go with Pip for the appointment she said she’d ‘take a rain check’? If so, that is a totally bizarre thing to say. A rain check as I am sure you are all aware is a ticket for future use which is given when an event is rained off. So, am I to understand that Aunt Lizzie will accompany Pip this time but that Toby can go with her next time she has an abortion?

Run, Toby, run!

4 Likes

I thought it was Elizabeth she said it to. Also, while what you describe was its original meaning, it has morphed and now it seems sometimes to mean, ‘I’ll let you know later’…

4 Likes

Haven’t checked, but wasn’t it to Lizzie she said it? Thereby opening up the possibility of a heart-to-part with Toerag in the clinic car park leading to a Big Decision which will be left hanging* until Sunday.

*As should they both

5 Likes

Oh, good grief, has it? Well to whomever she said it, it sounded very odd to my North American ears (though they were born in England). I think it must be used in its original sense here. Did it not sound odd to any of you?

4 Likes

[quote=“JustJanie, post:9, topic:817”]
Did it not sound odd to any of you?
[/quote]It was a scene between YodelPip and Toerag; of course it sounded bluddy odd. My brain went into defensive passive mode, though.

4 Likes

OK, I’m confused now. You and Gus had just convinced me she said it to Elizabeth.

4 Likes

Blast it, I’m going to have to listen again because I was going to post a thread about what Peggy said to Lilian about her being unlucky and I might have got that wrong too. I was listening on my phone my going for my wok.

4 Likes

If you think I’m LAing to put your mind at rest, Janie… It would have been clearer, certainly, if she had said ‘May I let you know later?’ but I took it to mean that was what she meant. And the more I think about it the surer I am it was Elizabeth to whom she said it.

4 Likes

No, that would be a and b the c of d, Gus!

4 Likes

Sorry - I was the one who confused things by going back to the Toerag scene. The “rain-check” line was indeed said to Elizabeth. (I just LA’d, so the rest of you can be spared. Call it my penance for causing the confusion.)

The key point stands, though: any scene with YodelPip ipso facto sounds odd.

4 Likes

It was to Elizabeth, and as joe says upthread, it is so she can change her mind in the carpark.

4 Likes

Thanks all. I can rest easy now.

4 Likes

Oh - and this is the hardest thing she’s ever done, apparently. Harder than getting a real job? She only stuck at that for three days; she’s managed a whole week of this…

4 Likes

Trade-in?
“One owner, occasional light use only…”

3 Likes

Well, thanks to the Dopeys’ protective bubble shielding her from the consequences of her mistakes and lies, she has lived lived nearly twenty-five years in the world ‘with very little to distress or vex her’.

5 Likes