Congratulations are in order

Three rousing cheers! Holrose, a member* of this board, completed her first marathon today. I’m thrilled for her and delighted that all the hard training she put in stood her in good stead.
Well done, Hollers. I hope you feel every bit as proud as you should be - a tremendous achievement

• she hasn’t posted, being a bit busy with one thing and another :grin:
5 Likes

Well done indeed. Quite an achievement! How is she feeling now?

2 Likes

‘Stiff but ok’ is what I’ve heard. She ran the whole course. Sounds like a statement of the bleedin’ obvious, but what I mean is she didn’t have to stop and walk at any point. Attagirl!

2 Likes

I’ve heard people say the crowd keeps you going. I’ve watched several Marathons (never come close to running one) and I must say it is very exciting, even as a spectator!

2 Likes

This being the Stirling Marathon, I believe bagpipes featured. They make a very encouraging noise, do the pipes…

3 Likes

Yes, some people might find them an incentive to run faster to escape the noise! I happen to like them myself but t’ain’t everyone’s cup of tea.

4 Likes

Which is why players march.

4 Likes

Oh, well done Holrose! That’s splendid.

Did you work up to it gradually with walking a half and then running a half and then…, or jump in as it were at the deep end?

4 Likes

Hollers might be in to explain, Fanta, probably not tonight, though. On the weary side right now, I believe.

Now I’m no expert at all, but jumping in the deep end - nah. Wouldn’t work. On yer marks, get set, run 26 miles plus an untidy bit of yards? Get lorst!
My general understanding is that most Organised Marathon virgins set out never having run 26 miles at one stretch before. They will have trained and done 20 mile runs or maybe even 22, say, but not the full 26-and-a-bit. Takes a lot of guts, imo.

3 Likes

Full of admiration. Well done indeed.

Plus the running from the bagpipes bit … I feel gazumped.

4 Likes