Cowditz history

Is it now established fact that the Moolag was entirely Justin’s idea?

Ambridge was at war with Darrington. Ambridge had always been at war with Darrington.

4 Likes

Not if you have access to Lowfield.

3 Likes

That’s history and he’s sticking to it…

3 Likes

False mammary syndrome

4 Likes

Not sure where the ‘false’ comes in, tbh: Justin is a thoroughgoing and utter tit.

3 Likes

Do I hear Al Jolson in the background? (BTW boobs is useful but I hae me doots aboot Justin.)

3 Likes

So where exactly are these fields alongside the river, which Tony is supposed to own?

Slurry run-off in bad weather, polluting the river. Should go down a bundle with the water people. Not to mention Defra.

Has anybody told the writers of this daft storyline about the legal requirements not to have pig slurry run-off contaminating rivers?

5 Likes

The fields Tony owns are beside Heydon Brook rather than the Am, but since the Am is now the size of the Severn, one could think of Heydon Brook as being the Avon.

It is a bridge over the brook, not over the Am, which gave Bridge Farm its name, I suppose, even though the farm buildings are not particularly near the water.

There have been at least two occasions on which the Am got polluted; once was by the Grundys, once by the Brookfield Archers, and I am fairly sure Tony too has had a storyline about slurry getting into the river.

5 Likes

It was the reason for the poo lagoon, wasn’t it? They were threatened with prosecution if the necessary repairs weren’t done asap so Helen found a way of making them take much longer and cost a not very small fortune. She and Tom then rendered the entire project useless by getting rid of the herd, thereby also adding to the cost of running the dairy by requiring milk to be bought in rather than using their own surplus - which was the reason it was set up in the first place.

ETA - just had a dig:

> Now saddled with a big mortgage, it was bad news indeed when in February 2009 – just a month after they had taken on the freehold – the Environment Agency traced pollution in Heydon Brook to a collapsed drain under the yard. Rather than a simple replacement, Helen championed a clever system of interlocking lagoons, which not only purified all their waste water but eventually provided a beautiful habitat for over 20 bird and 30 aquatic and wetland species.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/cc276f82-97d3-3e2a-bc20-5c30270a5bbe

4 Likes

Thanks Fishy. I thought BF was a tad far from the Am. But these places do tend to be mobile for some of the writers.

Maybe they’ll rename Heydon Brook as the River Hum, once it is full of slurry and well humming. :upside_down:

4 Likes

It could have been done cheaper still, I’m sure. They wouldn’t have needed lagoons if Helen had asked Alice to do it with a series of balloon arches. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Oh, right, that pretext. Thanks, Joe.

I have always wondered both how big these lagoons are, and where they are. Do they in fact now have a smaller acreage than it says in the book, because some of it is underwater?

3 Likes

…then we would have been talking for years about the Poo Balloons.

4 Likes

When I was young, I had a fever…

3 Likes

Where’s that from?

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks. I thought it was familiar but I couldn’t place it.

3 Likes

Trouble is I’ll never be able to listen to it now without mentally substituting…

3 Likes

Oh dear; that’s a bit sad.

2 Likes

Then again, by the time you’ve got that far into the album you could probably do with a laugh!

2 Likes