Daily Mail Weekend Magazine Archers Update September 28-October 1

Uneasy heads lie on the pillows of Ambridge, and many a villager stares up at the ceiling, all hope of sleep gone.
Alice is one of these restless souls. Weighed down by the burden of her secret, she is desperate for support.
Jolene’s nights are disturbed by her fears that her ‘naughty milkman’ might turn out to be a milksop, while Lilian’s nights are ravaged are by feelings of guilt over her behaviour towards Lynda.
Fallon has her own emotional dilemma to deal with, but all the torments of these Ambidgers are nothing compared to Philip’s nightmares as the net starts to close in …

Thanks to LadySusan of this Parish

5 Likes

Yes, I usually sleep badly when I’ve been on the lash.

4 Likes

I will start making popcorn as this week could be fun

5 Likes

Turned out not to be.

Freddie’s actor was appalling, I thought. As was the writing and ‘plotting’. Embarrassingly bad.

Can Little Fred not go back to dealing? At least he was being useful and not hanging off Mummy’s apron strings or the foul Lynda’s bandages.

Oh, and what’s the betting that Full-Thickness Burns won’t turn out to be yet another bloke desperate for spawn to bolster his self-image? Unless tbtb are going for a double compare & contrast SL, I suppose…

Kill them all.

4 Likes

Quite. I used not to mind if TFD wandered into the room whilst I was listening but I do now - it is genuinely embarrassing to be caught listening to this stuff, esp the ‘naughty milkman’ bilge.

I was, at least, relieved that Fallon did not announce that she was broody (or even pregnant). I genuinely thought that was what was coming for a moment there.

3 Likes

Now that the week is over I can comment on the spoiler for it!

I am expecting Alice to have a miscarriage (I think an abortion is too much to hope for) and everyone in the listenership to expect Falllon then to have a baby, and the Editor, who has been watching the various social media, not to go by that predictable route but instead take some other.

I do hope so.

4 Likes

Is this likely?

3 Likes

I vote for a pickled defectosprog, acrimonious divorce and banishment from the Aldridge bosom (seeing as JD seems to define herself mainly by what she has dropped, from various sires).

4 Likes

My vote goes for a miscarriage with horrible complications meaning that she will never be able to get pregnant again (I neither know nor care how likely that is) followed by…

And, of course, she should then realise that she really did want a baby all along.

4 Likes

Why not have a differently abled bratling who ends up being a joy to have around

A sort of Pollyanna

Listeners get issued with an endless supply of biodegradable sick bags to cope with such a dear child and JD’s endless twitterings

2 Likes

Because the best of their ability to write such was Bethany.

2 Likes

I think you’ve answered your own question there, Twellsy.

3 Likes

or ‘Dead!Betty’s Revenge’, as I prefer to think of it

3 Likes

Ah, you can probably explain: what is the significance of the ! after Dead, or is it before Betty? I see this construction occasionally but have no idea why it is in the places that it is, clearly not being to indicate exclamation.

2 Likes

…‘and would I please stop doing it’?

A bad habit picked up on ao3. Here you go:
https://fanlore.org/wiki/!
When I use it, it also denotes an element of unholy glee/Schadenfreude, as in Pissed!Alice.

3 Likes

Thanks. I don’t mind it, I just wanted to know why.

3 Likes