Eddie the ray of sunshine

I switched off mentally as Eddie rabbited on about Lynda and Robert’s B&B, but I did get a frisson of schadenfreude when he appeared to be rubbing the Dopeys’ noses in their disaster. No idea why he’d do that, very stupid of him, but when sourpuss Ruth begrudged him his two hours labour, I realised why I am enjoying their misery. I’m a bit sorry for David, but as for the rest … couldn’t happen to nicer people.

2 Likes

Yet more mystery about how money is deemed both rare AND plentiful in TA.

Spend days inoculating, drugs costing was it £2k, lose some catoo, drop in milk yield … yet p&moan about 2 hours casual work. What would that be, even over a weekend ? £30-40 at the very most.

Meanwhile “it’s a good job we resisted promising that loan to Pip” whilst they sit on Me Moom’s £500k. as though it had never been mentioned.

Weird. As ever.

3 Likes

While I like to think I am second to no one (well, possibly second to you, Janie dear) in my loathing of the Dopeys, Eddie ony has to open his mouth for the focus of my hatred briefly to shift to him. He really is an obnoxious little git with a vocal range restricted to ‘ingratiating whine’ and ‘gloaty sneer’ and the chief reason - with his superannuated ligger of a progenitor close behind - why every Grundy misfortune is a cause for rejoicing.
The Grundys and their oppressors? That is just as it should be.

3 Likes

I dislike Eddie a lot, for so many things it’s hard to list them: I think his worst moment was teaching a child to poach in the woods where the child’s father is supposed to protect the wildlife from poachers, but there are so many!

At the moment his bluddy silly “there is only room for one B&B in Borsetshire” nastiness is making me grind my teeth. No doubt there will be more to come.

2 Likes

Agree with all that has been said about Eddie. Sometimes, two loathsome characters rubbing up against each other can have a beneficial effect, rather like two negatives making a positive. A beneficial effect on me, that is. The trouble is, I’m not sure Eddie’s jolly witterings actually got under Ruth’s exceedingly thick skin, though her sour remark about his wages might be an indication that they did.

I remember thinking how enraged I would have been if someone had behaved as Jill did over Ruth’s pregnancy, issuing the testing kit and lurking outside the bathroom door for the results. But Ruth didn’t seem to mind!

1 Like

Ruth is stupid enough not to notice things which would annoy many other people.

On the other hand, if she does take the hump about something, she holds a grudge and holds a grudge and holds a grudge, and if she takes against someone she will have revenge against them.

This nasty tendency in her has been on sight from the first year in which she appeared. When she was on her work experience year at Home Farm, because he was not deferential to her she took against Bill Knowles (the foreman who was employed after David went back to Brookfield) and made it her business to expose a minor fiddle about food prices and get him sacked. (Delving about in history, aren’t I.)

1 Like

One of the nastiest things she ever said was to tell David he had let her Mum down. It’s the sort of thing you can’t un-say. I forget exactly how she put it, do you remember her exact words? I think it was because he first agreed (which he was mad to do, but then Ruth is a bully) then reneged on the Great Move North. (I misspelled ‘mad to do’ as ‘made to do’ and it occurred to me that both are the case.)

Back to Eddie, one of the nastiest things he did was to talk to the newspapers about Joe’s accident and slag off Grey Gables. I could just about accept that the Grundys would want a reasonable settlement for Joe’s accident because of the carpet (though I even have reservations about that as he was a bit drunk, but he did trip on the carpet) but Caroline and Oliver were prepared to be reasonable about that. There was no need to go to the papers and destroy their reputation. It made it even more improbable that they’d accept the Grundys for an indefinite stay after the flood when they set out yet again to destroy Grey Gables’ reputation. In hilarious fashion, of course.

3 Likes

Not quite as nasty as Pat telling Tony that it was his fault John had died, but getting there.

1 Like

Give yourself a pat on the back, tony. One down…

2 Likes