Elizabeth came down with flu

on 22nd November.

On 30th she was well enough to go to see Freddie in prison, where she presumably sprayed germs all over the whole population of the place, or as many as came within thirty feet of her.

Today she is still unwell, which if it was really flu is about right, but she really ought not to have been gallivanting about the countryside last Friday.

5 Likes

Agreed. I think sheā€™s been given the 'flu to make her more sympathetic to listeners as she floats uselessly about the place wringing her hands or falling asleep at her desk.

She didnā€™t pay any of those bills, did she?

6 Likes

We donā€™t know. She claimed she had done the important ones, but I would bet she missed at least one that is high priority.

4 Likes

I have had proper 'flu twice in my life, & on both occasions, could hardly move a muscle for a fortnight

Just sayinā€™ā€¦

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Exactly Carinthia.

Twice with me too & I baulk at people with a cold or a chill describing it as flu. ā€¦ & given that in work I oversee 5,000 employeeā€™s & their sickness absence it would serve them well to know this :joy:

The worst, lasting about 10 days, waswhile I was at University. In the first few days of this if the building had set on fire Iā€™d probably have thought it was a shame but there you go, it seems my timeā€™s up.

5 Likes

Me too. That is why Elizabeth being ill today, eleven days after she came down with it, makes sense to me, but not her gadding about on Friday,

4 Likes

Yes

Getting to the bathroom/facilities on all fours was interesting, but I couldnā€™t stand up unaided

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

A normal Saturday night, that :fearful:

7 Likes

Immoderate Snork !

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Very similar only without the sense of having done it to oneself so it must have been funā€¦

5 Likes

Never had flu myself, but had mumps twice, so can empathise. The problem with the gadding is that it makes Elizabethā€™s sickness seem exaggerated for attention. My mother used to say that if we were well enough to watch t.v. we were well enough to go to school, I have in adulthood applied the same logic, and do so here.

6 Likes

Mumps twice is bad luck; as I remember it that disease was No Fun At All. I got it while I still hadnā€™t gone back to school after measles, so I may have a worse memory of it that is reasonable, though: itā€™s another one that nearly killed me, only that time I was too ill to be moved into a hospital.

I was a sickly brat who occasionally had relapses ā€“ after the Asian flu, I was going to be going back to school on the Monday morning so we went for a walk on Sunday, and we got lost in a wood, or rather, we were meeting my father and the car in a pub carpark on the other side and we couldnā€™t find the other side. After a bit I was too tired to walk and my mother carried me, and she always said afterwards that she could feel my temperature rising as we went along. I was off school for another ten days.

But most in general the rule was, if you feel well enough to want to go and play in the garden and actually do it you are probably well enough for school tomorrow, even if it is only for half a day. We didnā€™t have a TV, so watching it wasnā€™t on the cards.

(Back in those days sickly children sometimes did die ā€“ one of my cousins had ā€“ so their parents were a bit careful.)

And I do think that Elizabeth is now being ill for effect. Iā€™m just surprised she hasnā€™t thought of it before.

5 Likes

Hasnā€™t that pretty much been her style all along? ā€œYouā€™ll make me angry and then Iā€™ll die and then youā€™ll be sorry!ā€ [Citation needed]

6 Likes

My brother, who is a year older than me, & has mild cerebral palsy was always the child like to die from ā€˜normalā€™(Ha) childhood illnesses.
He started measles by having convulsions, & looked like Elephant Man when he had mumps

We were swaddled in blankets & kept in the only room in the house with a lit fire . The front room fire was a Bugga to light & keep in,so the living room had to do

The bedrooms were Baltic !

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

I always knew when I was really ill: I was moved into the only bedroom which had a gas fire in it, the one which had been the main bedroom when the man who built the house lived there. My own bedroom got frost patterns inside the window in winter, and on one notable occasion that I remember there was ice on a glass of water by the bed when I woke in the morning.

4 Likes

I told my 2 about Jack Frost windows on the INSIDE of the single glazed windows, about 1 loo to a house, no showers, about no central heating & a fire you had to de-ash (riddle) before lighting via rolled-up newspaper and coal. Lino of the hall & bathroom floors, freezing ā€¦ sleeping in your socks. So cold that the debate in your head was how long you could cope before absolutely HAVING to go to the loo at night. I just remember the winter of '62 with snow so high we walked in trenches higher than even adult heads.

I said I wished Global Warming the very best of luck.

They said it sounded like the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch.

6 Likes

Care to bet on that?

5 Likes