Felicity Finch & Tim Bentinck talking about Ruth and David

Felicity Finch & Tim Bentinck

Have a listen, folks, if you care to, it’s not long. What strikes me is not so much how different her ordinary voice is from her ‘Ruth’ voice, I was well aware of that. It’s the difference in accent between the young Ruth and the present day Ruth. The accent has - bafflingly - grown much stronger in my opinion. Normally you’d expect it to stay the same or soften.

What does anyone think? Agree? Disagree?

4 Likes

I reckon the accent has grown stronger/worse.

4 Likes

She ought to be exhausted, it sounds very tiring delivering her lines like that.

4 Likes

Tell you what I think: I think I got one useful little factoid for the Directory out of that, and it was nothing to do with Ruth or David!

4 Likes

Are you going to make us guess?

3 Likes

Serve her bloomin’ well right. imo.

4 Likes

No; it was that Martha Woodford was living in April Cottage after Joby died. I knew they started out in Bluebell Cottage, but had forgotten they were then in April Cottage. I don’t know where Bluebell Cottage is/was, though.

3 Likes

Oh, ta. Are we going to get a look at your directory - the story so far that is? I see from elsewhere you’re up to ‘G’.

2 Likes

It’s very much a work in progress, JJ; I haven’t finished all the information, only what is in either the past twenty years of Lowfield and ten years of BBC synopses, or The Book of The Archers, about each one. This means that for instance Angela Cooper is complete because she is only in TBoTA, and George Grundy is complete because he is only in Lowfield/BBC synopses, but David Archer isn’t because he is in both of them and also in The Archers Encyclopaedia and other places.

I could post some of the complete ones if you like, in a thread of their own! All typo-catching gratefully received, as it were.

3 Likes

That would be fun!

3 Likes

On your head be it. I’ll start a thread.

3 Likes