"He saw something illegal…

You know that I had to look that up, don’t you.

Well, I found loads at £3.99 & thereabouts … & then one for £24.99. So it’ll be that one, natch.

7 Likes

I did too, and here’s the Wikipedia entry (for anyone else not in the know):

“A banneton is a type of basket used to provide structure for shaped loaves of bread during proofing. Banneton baskets are also known as brotform or proofing baskets. It is normally used for doughs that are too soft or wet to maintain their shape while rising. Proofing baskets are distinct from loaf pans in that the bread is normally removed from these baskets before baking. Conventionally, these baskets are made out of wicker, but some modern proofing baskets are made out of rattan, cane, spruce pulp, terracotta, or polypropylene. A banneton will sometimes have a cloth liner, generally made of linen, to prevent dough from sticking to the sides of the basket.”

I’m glad they clarified about the cloth lining, because I have images of dough trying to expand through the gaps in the wicker. This may be impossible. I’m clearly not a baker.

6 Likes

True Janie, true…but I can’t take issue with them liking nice things, after all I like nice things and …ahem…so do you !!

I can see that Lily is being a bit of a princess but it’s Russ that seems to be the one with expensive tastes that he can’t afford. All my friends (even the well heeled ones) used to love searching bric-a-brac shops for their kitchen bits and pieces while at Uni, it was part of the experience.

Lakeland do a decent banneton for a tenner, Surrey sister came round while I had a sourdough loaf cooling and seeing the markings of the banneton on the loaf asked it was a shop bought loaf. Well, as you can imagine I was mildly insulted but she did a quick bit of back peddling and said that the markings made it look like it had come from a bakery not a supermarket ! Well, having unhuffed myself and being regruntled, we proceeded to make inroads into loaf, fresh sourdough and taramasalata…yum !

6 Likes

Now that Ilike.

6 Likes

At least our SurreySister didn’t do what Mr Janie did to me when I made an extremely nutritious 100 per cent wholemeal loaf. He picked it up and said, ‘Ooh, heavy!’ I needed regruntling after that, too!

5 Likes

Getting back to the topic, can you remind me, what did Lily say?

5 Likes

That Fallon had done drugs herself, basically.

5 Likes

Oh, yes, I remember now. Ta.

On a slightly different subject, I am puzzled at the sudden switch around in Lily’s attitude to Freddie. Now it’s all supportive and going round fighting his battles. What happened to the Lily who only showed up at the magistrate’s court to tell him he was a fool to have hoped it wouldn’t go to Crown Court and generally rub Freddie’s nose in it and then throw a tantrum because her mother was more focussed on Freddie’s predicament than Lily’s glowing A level results?

5 Likes

That’s what happens with SWs who don’t know their archive from their elbow.

6 Likes

Lily was written by Caroline Harrington when she was abusing Freddie and Elizabeth at the magistrate’s court; Harrington has not written her since.

4 Likes

Yes, and that was a much more believable version of Lily, not this defender who’s going round telling people off. Well telling Fallon off, anyhow, not sure if she’s tackled Harrison.

4 Likes

She hasn’t but she spurns his calls 're the cricket so he should jolly well know what she thinks of him. So there.

4 Likes

So much for the mixed team.

Anisha: gone.
Lily: gone.

I suppose Tracy Horrobin is mixed.

2 Likes

Aye. Half woman, half lambrusco and wholly repellent

3 Likes

I feel there is probably also some of those alcopops of a colour not found in nature.

4 Likes

WKD Blue. Which, mixed with cooking port, makes a substance known as a Cheeky Vimto.
My knowledge of the seamier side of life is extensive, and I am available for consultancy work…

4 Likes

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

4 Likes

Says the individual who invented the Tequila Pre-emptive Strike…

4 Likes

“…in the unlikely event that you survive, you wouldn’t want to get cancer.”

4 Likes

Hence the apparently wussy precaution of deploying the 99% surgical ethanol rather than the good stuff?

3 Likes