How are you celebrating Stabnight Anniversary?

It was the charge sheet, I think: “On 4 April you did knowingly and with malice aforethought* prepare tuna and custid…”

*Not to be confused with mAlice Ne’erathought

3 Likes

Why did no one remind me? Sadly, Mr Janie, Miss Janie and I are all in different places today. Otherwise we could have had an Anniversary Re-enactment of ‘Spoon Night’ chez Janie.

Never mind, Rob and Helen are very much in my thoughts today and I will think of them if I am entrusted a very sharp knife to cut my friend’s birthday cake tonight. No, don’t fear, no blood will be shed, but in my mind I will be humming ‘Stabby, stabby, stabby, stab’ to Barwick Green. It had better stay in my mind as none of my Canadian friends bar one have ever heard of The Archers.

4 Likes

Blimey, Janie, yes, just in the privacy of your head. It might put a bit of a damper on the birthday otherwise - just imagine… I don’t suppose they send round a Mounty for that sort of thing, so Not Worth It.

4 Likes

Nah, not afraid of the ArseyEMpee as we call them … they don’t seem to have a heavy presence in these countrified parts, ooh arr. (As I mentioned, I’m not in Ottawa, but rural Ontario celebrating friend’s birthday.) Oddly enough it is said friend who has unusually heard of The Archers and when I mentioned I was just going to listen to ‘my radio soap’ as I refer to it here she started humming Barwick Green. So I shall have to explain about Stab Night; she is the only one who would get it.

Speaking of The Archers and Canada, my friend says she is sure her mother used to listen to it when she was a child in the fifties. Is that possible? Does anyone know if it was broadcast in Canada in those days?

4 Likes

Wikipedia’s page on TA cites Smethurst’s The Archers: The True Story (pp. 75-76) to support “[In] the late 1950s, despite the growth of television and radio’s consequent decline, the programme was still claiming eleven million listeners and was also being transmitted in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.”

4 Likes

Coo, there’s a thing.
Enjoy the birthday celebrations. As she shounds an understanding sort, maybe a quick chorus of ‘Stabby Birthday’?

4 Likes

Pangolins all round, large ones. I think we’ve earned them. Anyone fancy one of these things on skewers? …not sure, now you ask. Kidneys Titchener, possibly
Ended up feeling quite stabby myself. Bluddy Ian, bluddy Helen, , Social Issues with Welsh accent and splutters (TB, anyone?) and Mogadon Man in full doze-and-whine-mode… He’s wondering what Brian is going to say at the meeting, apparently. How about ‘The enterprise will be run in future by my stepson Adam, a posturing and sulky little git who will stab you in the back soon as look at you’? That would be good.

Oh, and JD is an ineffably silly bitch.

4 Likes

Au contraire, I find them all eminently effable. I do a lot of effing while listening.

3 Likes

If it’s of any help we had rhubarb & custard. Without knowing the date’s importance.

4 Likes

Good gracious. Is the rhubarb up already?

4 Likes

Fishy, put that stick down

3 Likes

It is. & home grown. Under a potato sack to force.

4 Likes

Golly. That is really quite early, isn’t it.

3 Likes

I cleared an overgrown area early last autumn and fed it. I planted some mature rhubarbs which had been in there & struggling and gave then their own space and a last chance.

They took it, bless 'em.

I had canvas potato sacks to cover them & force. I got a good amount of quite slim stalks but they were v edible indeed. I’ve uncovered them now, ghey should be fine.

Some time in the next couple of weeks I’m joining them with a dozen new raspberry plants. We had plants over 20 years old which supplied healthily until last year. So I’ve pulled them. We’ll get none this year but should be good by next summer.

There’s an excellent PYO nearby so we won’t go short.

I have 3 blackcurrant & 1 redcurrant bush to go in too.

Oh … & some 'erbs in another bed.

3 Likes

Eight years ago today, Helen did a bad thing: she dropped the knife rather than finishing the job.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! MissJanie isn’t with us for another couple of weeks, so we won’t be able to do the re-enactment of StabNight at Janie Towers unless I can find a substitute. A shame I didn’t think of this yesterday as I was with probably the only other Archers listener in Ottawa.

Oh well, I shall have to content myself with my normal way of preparing baked potatoes, which is to pierce the skin with a sharp knife while singing, ‘Stabby, stabby, stabby-stab’ to Barwick Green.

5 Likes

About Stabnight anniversary: I was greatly amused to learn that at the cooking activity daughter goes to on Wednesdays they are making a tuna pasta bake today. I tried to explain why this was funny and got strong “I am SO putting you in a home” vibes

5 Likes