I'm sure I asked this before, but…

…in light of Hannah’s latest (entirely out of character) whinge, what happened to all the workers’ accommodation that was part of the Cowditz setup? Didn’t Jazzer apply for a job there for that very reason, after Harry left?

2 Likes

He did. Not to mention Stephan and the other workers living in it when the place was a moolag. It has evaporated, hasn’t it.

3 Likes

Unless they’ve modelled the current operation on Animal Farm?

3 Likes

Why do I imagine Hannah’s
Face is like a bag of spanners?

4 Likes

Do you need a reason?

3 Likes

Apologies, what is Cowditz? I don’t recall anyone except the pickers living in workers accommodation, which is why they are all in peculiar house shares etc. Somewhere else that should have accommodation but doesn’t seem to is Grey Gables.

4 Likes

Cowditz is the Moolag. Or the Berrow Farm megadairy.

4 Likes

Right, thanks! I didn’t realise that there were more than pigs at Berrow… have just found and read the below article, which may be useful/interesting background to other newbies!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/c86114a3-244e-3497-8c70-d310dabfc7f0

3 Likes

Ooh, Kara, you may not have met the list of Nicknames and Phrases.

I started to collect them because I couldn’t keep track, and then I put them up on the Reporter website so they could be of use to anyone who went there.

It’s here, along with some other things I’ve been caught by in the past:
https://ambridgereporter.org.uk

Stuff like who has owned or lived in the Bull or Blossom Hill Cottage and when, who has been the vicar, who lives where, who visited Prudhoe and when…

4 Likes

There are not more than pigs there now. First it was cows, then pigs. No crossover.
Soon to be repurposed as a creche.

3 Likes

The history of Cowditz pretty much exemplifies everything that is wrong with continuity these days. As that article blog entry makes clear, the idea for a mega dairy was Debbie’s, in September 2011 - two and a half years before anyone had heard of Justin Elliott and Damara. Yet when it closed, Justin was bemoaning the fact that he’d chosen the wrong moment to launch such a project; worse, he said this to Brian and JD, who would have been just as au fait with the “reality” as the audience.

To make matters worse - and this is the point behind my OP - a significant part of the development was the provision of staff accommodation: flats in converted farm buildings for the proles, a completely refurbished Farmhouse (Valley Farm, IIRC) for the manager. This was not ready when Rob arrived, so he moved into Blossom Hill Cottage in the interim. The Valley Farm property was never mentioned again, to my knowledge. Where has all this accommodation gone? It would have been ideal for Hannah, saving her the ignominy of having to share with Keffir The Klown and The Idiot Formerly Known As Rich and us the annoyance of seeing a(nother) formerly likeable character turned into a bitter, mouthy, nasty whinger.

5 Likes

But, otherwise, Joe ? Any issues with it ?

3 Likes

Well, apart from the takeover by Damara being of dubious legality (Brian as BL chair not being informed of the agenda of the EGM), Lustin announcing that the operation was too minor for him to bother with the day-to-day running yet apparently now doing sod all else*, the appointment of Titchynob to an “essential” post that had been left vacant since Charlie’s departure in January 2016 without apparently impacting on the running of the operation in any way.

There was also the nonsense of the Martyn/Kathy SL, which should have seen Martyn dismissed both for the constructive dismissal of Kathy, the unlimited unpaid bar tab (he was quick enough to demand the sacking of the barman for having his fingers in the till, after all) and the blatant conflict of interest: as BL’s Director of Finance, he was signing off on his own “expenses” and used his (self-appointed) position of authority to hand Kathy’s job to a couple of his cronies.

Apart from that it was fine.

Oh - I nearly forgot: a multi-millionaire shit-hot** businessman who can’t afford the odd packet of Strepsils

*Actually, delete “else”
**And “hot”

4 Likes

Wouldn’t anyone, though? Tedious, joy-sucking bore that she was.

Not that I want to quibble with your overall analysis, you understand.

4 Likes

I’d prefer destructive.

3 Likes

…and the occasional putrid dog.

Unless you count Tichynob. Rather insulting to pigs, though…

3 Likes