Is Peggy not long for this world?

I detected - well it didn’t require much in the way of detective skills, it was pretty obvious - a valedictory tone to the matriarch of Ambridge in her farewell to Noluthando. Also, she’s been asking for an arm to steady her of late and she said it was good to sit down. And she didn’t answer when Nolly said she’d come to South Africa, wouldn’t she.

I think the old gal has had a warning visit from the Grim Reaper.

3 Likes

At 93 Peggy might well not want to travel all the way to RSA without being actually valedictory in the permanent sense, I feel.

My feeling was that she was saying goodbye to someone she likes and may not see again unless that person comes to her.

Not that Peggy’s death may not come soon, simply because June Spencer (born 14th June 1919) may want to retire eventually.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m not at all keen on long haul flights and I’m not 93. However, it was that and all of those things she’s been saying lately like ‘give me your arm, dear’ and ‘so nice to sit down’ - which she did not use to say. So it sounds as though we are being prepared.

I hope June Spencer - if she wants and is able to of course - continues till the day she dies. But she may finally be feeling her age which astonishingly is as you point out considerably greater than Peggy’s.

4 Likes

She’s never been slow to get her children to ferry her around, however inconvenient it may be for them…

4 Likes

She had a dizzy spell just lately, too. Lots of flags, I’m sure something’s up.

4 Likes

She’s over ninety and they have just noticed?

4 Likes

So it would seem. Not so long ago she was legging it up some tower, where was it? It was a few years back, I know, but they’ve not had Peggy showing her age much up to now and all of a sudden in the last few weeks or months, every scene she appears in, there’s something like ‘help me out of the car, dear’. We normally hear a lot more ‘oofs’ of effort from Jennifer every time she exerts herself that we ever used to from Peggy.

She’s doomed, I tell you, doomed.

5 Likes

You could be onto something there

The steps at Whitby. With rather less groaning about it than Lilian managed, iirc

4 Likes

Whitby from the promenade to the Abbey, 199 steps up, in January 2013. Lilian had trouble, but Peggy was fine.

http://www.urban75.org/photos/yorkshire/whitby-abbey-and-steps-yorkshire.html

4 Likes

I got distracted by looking at pictures of Whitby and my reply was delayed; sorry for the repeated information.

4 Likes

Either she’s on her way out or they are - finally - responding to people saying none of the oldies in Ambridge have the normal aches and pains of old age. I only hope Jill deteriorates equally rapidly and becomes unable even to cope with her present duties never mind adding those of nanny to the Fairbairn.

I know she’s quite a bit younger than Peggy.

4 Likes

The old bat will keep on hooting like an over excited cruise ship leaving port.

5 Likes

Let’s hope the Captain is Italian, then.
‘Jill holed below the waterline’ - how very cheering.
Yrs, Lady Cabstanleigh

5 Likes

I’d settle for that :grin:

5 Likes

I had some hopes from the one-liner “Peggy says goodbye”, but no such luck. No objection to June Spencer but I hold no brief for nasty people even if they are occasionally pleasant.

5 Likes