Knittery and Stitchery and Stuff

Unlike the deranged Rico.

5 Likes

I thought Darrington was going to get rid. He’s a charming lad, and decorative, but we really can’t be doing with that every full moon.

5 Likes

I am slightly surprised: I haven’t crocheted anything for ooh, maybe twenty years or longer, but when I wanted to put a picot edge round a shawl (pictures to come when it is finished) I found that without thinking I had put the wool round my left-hand fingers just as it ought to be and although I had forgotten how to do it, my hands remembered.

5 Likes

Nothing to do with stitchery, but I remember entering our house after a four year absence (we were posted abroad, it had been rented out) and my fingers were reaching for something to open the cupboard under the sink. I couldn’t think what my fingers were doing until I remembered we had installed a safety catch (no longer there) that you had to release which was to prevent the baby getting in there.

4 Likes

I need advice

My bbq house cover tarp has split in various places

So I plan to put a strip of denim along the splits and zigzag stitch over the split

Is that a doable sensible repair?

I have denim in my material chest of drawers

3 Likes

I wouldn’t, Twellsy. You need the correct tarp repair tape for the base material, and to apply that to both sides of the splits.

3 Likes

What is the original tarp made of, Twellsy, where has it split, & izzit kept outside?

You can’t consider anything until these things are known.

As Gus says, ‘marrying’ any sort of plastic with fabric isn’t easy, & I am really not sure that your shoulder will stand up to the amount of piggling & pulling required.

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

It’s canvas and once it is up it stays for the summer

It is to be remade by moi for next year using the old one as a pattern

3 Likes

The cover for my BBQ at the caravan is a large piece of waterproof fabric which is artfully draped/folded to cover the vital bits & the whole held in place with clothes pegs.

When I bought my Noo chairs, I made a cover from heavy-duty waterproof fabric, & made it bigger, & with handles on the side so that I could lift it on & off easily. It was a pig to manoeuvre & sew, but worth it.

The problem with canvas is, that the minute you start ‘adding’ to it, it splits elsewhere there is even the slightest strain.

I would deploy the ‘Duck Tape’ with a sheet of plastic over at night/in damp wevver.

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Duck tape it will be

My bbq house is a wrought iron frame that is free standing

4 Likes

Sorry, I thought that you meant the BBQ itself, not the pergola. My misunderstanding.

The roof fabric, & curtains are available/replaceable, as it really isn’t an easy sew because of the size. Imagine sewing an 'Normous umbrella.

Curtains are easier as they are flat, but it is still a lot of fabric to get through the machine.
At the campsite, they remove the fabric at the end of the season,roll it when it is completely dry & store it rolled in the caravan. Canvas doesn’t do well being folded.

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

That sounds like a Carinthial sort of solution, really.

3 Likes

The thing that makes stranded knitting interesting, I have decided, is that each row or round of it is a new pattern for my fingers to learn. Learning each new one (from a round of aababaabaa to one of aababaaaaa with a catch-over for b between the second and third a of the long strand, to on of aabababa, say) is a new small challenge. Otherwise I would go stark mad well before the end of the yoke…

The number of stitches in each round has gone up from 100, in increments of 50 as far as 400, and after this the only changes will be reducing not increasing, which may also keep me sane when I contemplate it.

4 Likes

Cross-threading (surely not inappropriate in the context of observations re stranded knitting), it surprises me that That Sparrer needs a comprehensive automated blasphemer…

3 Likes

It’s not keeping me sane reading it, Fishy!

Goes forran Little Lie Down…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: So, who wants to help … to instaurate the cellar?

I think you meant this for the Cellar?

5 Likes

Oh, right. Shall I knit them all sweaters if it gets chilly?

(I’ve moved my post about having the rellies over this afternoon which was intended for the Cellar, so this one no longer makes sense.)

5 Likes

How long will you have?

The International Speed Record for Deliberate Knitting on the Model is held by Fräulein Nähnadel of Prague, who circumknitted a 6-foot infantry sergeant in a field-green multiple belliclover, encompassed on 24 needles, in 56 mins. 23 secs. (Prosit!)

4 Likes

Anyone called ‘Miss Sewingneedle’ immediately arouses suspicion… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes