Mothers' Day

I had always assumed that the idea of this particular day is to make your mother feel good.

What then should I make of an Interflora ad which has a picture of a young woman (far too young to have children of an age to have left home and need to send her flowers, I would have said) being delighted over a large bunch being delivered to her, and a voiceover which starts “When you really want to make an impression…”

Is that what people are trying to do when they give someone a present? make an impression? How sad.

A paper aeroplane? Then it will at least have brought some joy to somebody.

Guilt is a more powerful motivator than wanting to make other people happy, so that’s the way the occasion gets pushed.

3 Likes

I’m afraid that seems to be it, HedgeSparrow

Sigh

Despite a distinct shortage of Mothers, it was, & is still known as Mothering Sunday at Carinthia Towers

Carinthia.xx

1 Like

I thought Mothering Sunday and Mothers Day were different: one for the churching of women or some such, and the other for servant girls to have a day off to visit their mothers because they would be busy in the Big House over Easter…

Or rather, that Mothering Sunday was a church thing and about the Mother Church, and Mother’s Day was a modern “let’s all say “aaah” for Mother” celebration from America.

As far as I know they are indeed entirely unrelated.

1 Like

I read that as “It is increasingly boring”. Oh dear…

1 Like

Mothering Sunday here, complete with Simnel Cake too , which has been the tradition of late, although there was a celebratory Sunday half way through Lent, when the fasting rules were relaxed, which wasn’t Mothering Sunday

I don’t like marzipan

Or Marmite

Will I be allowed to stay?

2 Likes

Naturally. How boring it would be if we all liked the same things; not to mention that there would never be any occasion to utter my mother’s happy cry when one of her children expressed a dislike: “All the more for us!”

I am with you about marzipan, mind.

Is the celebration when the rules are relaxed St Patrick’s Day, by any chance?

1 Like

Well, it used to be Mothering Sunday, but some would prefer not to break the Lenten Fast & saved the cake for Easter

I seem to remember summat about ‘Laetare Sunday’ too - I’ll have to look that up

There’s quite an argument to be made for the Sundays in Lent not counting as Fast Days

St Patrick’s day is an ‘extra’, where those on the wagon for Lent are allowed to take a drink, & meat may be eaten - it was on a Friday this year, & many Catholics still stick to fish (!) on Fridays

I prolly eat fish 3x per week, but I don’t mind on which day, & these days it’s dearer than meat anyway!

1 Like

Historically, beaver and capybara have both been regarded as fish for Lenten purposes. (On the basis that the locals didn’t want to stop eating their primary source of protein during Lent.)

3 Likes

Mothering Sunday in the West used to be 3rd Sunday ((Refreshment Sunday) until Rome started tinkering with its Meccano. Go home, visit mother church for Confession and Communion, priests allowed to wear rose vestments instead of violet, etc, etc. Give prezzie to Mumsy, family meal, collect simnel cake, return to place of service where had to remain over the Easter w/e.

2 Likes

In the East, there are degrees of fasting according to the day (and, frankly, the person) but a full-blown fast usually means beans and other pulses. (In monasteries, nothing is eaten on Great Friday.) However, there is never a prohibition of shellfish or other non- scaly fish, e.g. squid. This is because such foodstuffs are not Kosher and were left out of fasting rules after the Apostles abolished the Kosher rules. So in theory we Orthodox can eat lobster in Great Lent. In practice, the principle of Economy applies, that is what is any rule or custom intended to achieve? Literalism is not an Orthodox way.

2 Likes

Before the Fasting rules were changed, I used to be carried out of Church (RC) every week,having fainted. I sang in the choir &what with that, & the Holy Smoke & no breakfast, it was almost a given.

They’d need a Block & Tackle these days… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

[quote=“Carinthia, post:13, topic:122”]
Before the Fasting rules were changed[/quote]Was that when it was no food or drink, except water, for 3 hours before communion ? That was a long wait.

My parents used to go to 9am mass, so not too difficult. I, however, was an altar boy & on 11am mass. So nothing to eat till 12.30 or so, in my teens. Imagine.

4 Likes

Yes

When we made our First Communion, we were served breakfast afterwards . I got egg yolk on my dress…

Gawds, 51 years ago

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

But 51 years later, you know twenty ways to get the stain of egg out of a dress, so a Purpose is being worked out here, dahlink.

4 Likes

Yes, but what’s Eggy doing in Carinthia’s dress? Can’t he afford his own?

2 Likes

You have earned a holy snork!

2 Likes

Breathes on Halo
Rubs it on sleeve
Sets it at a rakish angle on head…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I’ve tried that, dahlink. Plays merry hell with the highlights. A scorched ring (now just shuttup, you know who you are without me having to mention you by name. Or have we all been wasting our time?) is seldom a good look. And a bright downlight can be cruel. Gxx
I find the glow from the cinders on me tail generally suffices these days. Although there is a bluddy grate shadow cast on the ceiling, now why could that be?

4 Likes