Nominative determinism

I spotted this in an RTÉ news item yesterday:

Niall Hatch of Birdwatch Ireland described it as a leucistic bird …

(if you’re interested in the full article: Brown Booby)

Rather than post in The Cellar, I thought it might provide some amusement as a new topic in it’s own right - Nominative Determinism, that is, not birds being blown off-course (which would NEVER happen to OUR wee birdie now, would it?)

6 Likes

…and that’s why I had to stay in the pub till the wind dropped.

There are many doctors Butcher, Slaughter, etc.

5 Likes

I shared a flat with a medical student whose surname was Payne.

5 Likes

The RSPCA inspector in my day was a Mr Fox

And the poor zoo worker who rejoiced in the name of Cyril Lyons - Mr C Lyons!

And the urologist in the plague pit - Dr Flood…

The firm of solicitors Argue and Phibbs anyone?

6 Likes

Stephens Innocent

6 Likes

Please note the name of the road just to the south of the South Yorkshire Police Command Centre. (I assume they cheated.)

7 Likes

I knew it! It was Wm Stickers all along.

If we’re taking a detour into street names, a certain film franchise generated a degree of wry amusement in Ipswich; the police station, magistrates court, probation service and registry office were all on Elm Street.

4 Likes

In Bristol there was a lot of enthusiasm for re-naming things for Nelson Mandela, a while ago; the local paper was full of letters with suggestions in them.

It kinda calmed down when I pointed out that the main police station and the magistrates’ court were on Nelson Street.

4 Likes

This was of course before the Independent’s suggestion that Heathrow Airport should be renamed “Princess Diana Airport” – which lost the wind from its sails after a friend of ours wrote a letter to The Independent saying “Yes: a noisy nuisance nobody wants: a perfect name for it.” They printed her letter and shut up.

5 Likes

After she died it was suggested to the Red Cross by hundreds of people, that the symbol should be changed to a red heart, as she was ‘Princess of Hearts’

You couldn’t make it up…

I was quite encouraged, after that, to remember that we have a Deepsick Lane

Not Bluddy deep enuff…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

There And Back Again Lane in Bristol is about two cars long. I am not certain whether that is longer than Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate or not.

3 Likes