Oct 16th: (…prompted by TKK's last line…)

…ooooer, over the parapet, I think might be the bestest idea! (…see threads passim)

3 Likes

Who or what is TKK?

4 Likes

TheKaledonianKlown… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Ah. Not one I had come across, probably because neither Caledonian nor Clown is actually spelt with a K.

4 Likes

What does it help to use these confusing names rather than the actual character names? Clearly it matters to some people, but it feels obfuscatory to me.

6 Likes

I agree, it’s very confusing - also they are all so negative. I know some of the characters annoy us, but I think it would be nice to see a conscious effort to be kinder. After all we all listen and have done for years, if certain people hate it as much as they say then perhaps stop listening and allow other people to be entertained and enjoy making fun speculations, rather than berating something others take care in.

4 Likes

…but it is entertaining and enjoyable! :neutral_face::smiley:

…and as far as “…berating something others take care in…” I think you need to be more specific, please! :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t mind a bit of negativity, or even a lot, but for myself (as a non-board-administratey-person) I like it to be specific - “I don’t like X because of thing Y” rather than “X is annoying”.

4 Likes

You just scored a first!

Nobody else had suggested that anyone stop listening to the programme, on this board.

Not sure what sort of award you ought to get, but you definitely ought to get one…

Not all the nicknames are negative; some are witty, some are even affectionate. As for instance “Radio One” and “Radio Two” for Susan Carter and Annette Turner, working in the village shop and broadcasting their opinions. “The Cartridges” for Chris Carter and Alice Aldridge. “Auntie Satnav” for Aunt Satya, who was always on the motorway. “Bo Pip” when she was preoccupied with the Hassett Hill lambs. Carol Toboggan. Cecil B DeSnell at panto time. “The Chipolata Kid” for Tom Archer. The Darrathon for a particular storyline. “Pot and Pat” – Poor Old Tony and Pat Archer. “Foreverpet”, Ruth’s moom. “Frilly”: Freddie and Lily. “Fridge Farm”: Bridge Farm. “Grey Gerbils.” “JD” for Jennifer (“Jenny Darling”). Lots of others but I have got bored.

If you come up with witty and kind nicknames for characters I will add them to the list that I keep; but I won’t use them, because I don’t use any myself except the blindingly obvious ones.

7 Likes

…I agree! Well done that fish! :wink:

5 Likes

That you accept it requires “a conscious effort” rather highlights the problem. If the SWs go out of their way to make characters unlikable, the listeners can’t really be blamed for not liking them, can they?

7 Likes

Well, Kara, hating the denizens of Ambridge, almost without exception, and commenting on their shortcomings/idiocies/obnoxiousnesses is something I take great pleasure in, so I am afraid my posting is unlikely to get any kinder. And some of the nicknames are both apposite and amusing; others, erm, aren’t.

7 Likes

…hey, wotchit! I resemble that remark! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I don’t think they go out of their way to do it, Joe; I think they do it by the light of nature.

Incidentally, someone once objected to calling the scriptwriters “the scripties”, which I would have said was quite affectionate.

7 Likes

There are some, such as Poopsquit for Pip, which strike me as merely childish; my comment was not directed at a single poster or even a single board.

7 Likes

But, but, I love hating it. And I love saying so. Please don’t deprive me of not one, but two things I love, it wouldn’t be kind.

7 Likes

It’s more affectionate than my preferred term of TBTB, certainly

(The Buggers That Be ,encompassing not just the sws but the whole production and editorial kaboodle)

6 Likes

Oh! I had always thought of it as bastards. But it was your typo…

6 Likes

Either will do to convey the general drift :wink:

6 Likes

Drift? Anything going downhill that fast would have to be an avalanche.

6 Likes