Oh dear! Turdsday's effort!

…yet another scap, blab, scap, blab, scap, blab fest! …shouty! shouty! shouty! shout! shout!

…cack radio at its very worst!

3 Likes

Scap?

Is this Lnda’s latest campaign to slow down traffic by getting Henry, Poppy et al (who he?) to play on the road?

5 Likes

I was surprised to find so many definitions provided by google, but for me, dragged up in the UK in the 1950s, the word has always referred to noisy eating! “Mum, he’s scapping again! Please tell him to close his mouth when he’s eating! Eeeeaaaaaggghh! Please tell him to stop it! it’s horrible!!!”
…anyone else remember scapping at mealtimes when they were kids?

4 Likes

…sounds like a splendid idea! OK, kids, this game is called “Sleeping Policemen”. Now here’s how it works, we all lay down across the road and pretend to be policemen, fast asleep, that’s right, Henwy, just like PC Harassment Burns, yes, he always seems to be asleep, doesn’t he?

5 Likes

Might it be regional? Not something I came across while being dragged up in the 1950s in Reading (Berkshire, not Pennsylvania).

3 Likes

…it might be. Our Mum was from Fulham, and she moved to Norf Deb’n when she married our Dad, and they (…who they?) always say that the mother teaches the kids to speak, and that might explain why even today I don’t have a Norf Deb’n accent, although when I cross t’Pond, my friends think I have a “mid-Atlantic” accent. It’s not so much the sound of the words, like the choice of words (…pauses to think of some examples) :thinking:

4 Likes

Sitting in back of the tree instead of behind it? Saying the pavement when you mean the road?

4 Likes

I used to do a double-take whenever I saw the word colo(u)r (with the US spelling, and it used to annoy me, however after nearly 36 years it no longer irritates me, although automatic spelling checkers/predictors still annoy the hell out of me!

4 Likes

Or sneakers for trainers, or fries for chips and chips for crisps, or eggplant for courgette, or apartment for flat, or windshield for windscreen.

6 Likes

Eggplant for aubergine, Fanta! Zucchini for courgette. Mr Janie came back with one of the latter yesterday and I did a ‘Snell’ and called it a zucchino.

P.S. Took me ages to remember which way round bonnet and hood was.

5 Likes

tire - tyre
car-park - parking-lot
garden - yard
cab - taxi
elevator - lift

5 Likes

Sturmers - I realised with surprise that certainly in this part of Canada ‘garden’ means vegetable garden.

6 Likes

Shows you how unAmerican I am, doesn’t it. Ah well.

There is always eraser for rubber and rubber for condom; I am fairly sure about that one.

In English an elevator is called a moving staircase, though, sometimes.

6 Likes

Did you know that a lot of elevators in North America are made by a company by the name of Schindler? So I was alone in thinking it funny that I was going up in Schindler’s Lift.

6 Likes

When I first came to the USA, I watched with interest when my boss informed me we were going to lunch, and that he would join me outside (it was pouring with rain) as soon as he put his rubbers¹ on! I think I stood there open-mouthed, from what I remember!

¹ rubber over-shoes

6 Likes

Nope, you were not alone. Science Fiction fandom discovered a Schindler’s lift in a hotel in Birmingham and were very delighted about it for several days. After a while it started to be slightly flat as a joke.

The Schindler Group is actually Swiss in origin, not American. It was founded by someone of that name in 1874. Well, someone of that name and someone else who seems never to have got his name onto the product.

6 Likes

I meant alone in Canada as I’d have had to say ‘in the UK we call elevators lifts’ which would have made the joke even flatter if possible. So I sniggered in a solitary sort of way. Luckily Mr Janie speaks my language, his mother being English (a war bride).

6 Likes

…ah yes, one of our Mum’s favourites was “The Marrow Song” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdGKLA8IlEE. I’ve heard Jasper Carrot’s version, but in substituting “zucchini” for “marrow” the song seems to lose something!

4 Likes

Dare I mention a “fanny” ?

No ?

OK then.

5 Likes